• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Post your graduate job offers here (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Would be interested in finding out what offers you guys have received for grad jobs? There usually is an active thread discussing interviews and everyone's progress, but for some reason, this year the one in the Commerce/Business forum is dead.

This thread can be very useful for those starting uni. They could set some goals they need to achieve to increase their chances of getting a job.

Those who got offers in previous years, please also post, but clearly indicate your year of graduation.

Please post:

Degree:
University:
Year of Graduation: (i.e. your final year of uni)
Average Mark (WAM):
Work Experience: (e.g. none, some, lots but in different industries, etc.)
Extracurricular Activities: (e.g. drama club, president of GaySoc at uni)

Number of Positions Applied for:
Offers Received: (indicate the company and position. If you aren't comfortable in revealing the company, please reveal the position only)
Offer Accepted: (indicate the company and position. If you aren't comfortable in revealing the company, please reveal the position only)
Salary: (if you are allowed to provide this)

Other Notes/Comments/Advice:

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Great thread.

I want to start applying for graduate jobs, and stuff because i'll be graduating this year, However, i have some questions, and i'd appreaciate if you guys can tell me about your experiences. What i'd like to know is:
- When applying for those graduate programs/internships, what do companies look for in applicants exactly?

- How do they short list people, when they get the CV's? What part of an applicant's CV attracts them the most?

-I once heard that when big companies check your CV, 1st thing they look for is your WAM....is that true?

Oh, Btw stazi, i read in some thread that you work for P&G, wow thats so awesome :) What steps did you go through since you 1st decided to apply for the position that you're doing? Did you do any tests for them? etc, etc...

Thanks!

danielvh

HSC
I'm probably not really one to talk as I'm only in my 2nd year of a 4 year double degree but I've been applying for internships (and have just landed an awesome one - management consulting!). I think they look for fairly similar things for intern/grad positions.

You have to keep in mind that it varies by company and role though:

1) Marks. Probably the first thing they look at. Some companies will have a minimum requirement for their positions. eg credit average (most companies) or distinction average etc. Better marks than their minimum will add to your applicaiton. The more respected the uni you go to the more it adds to your application as well. Grades and university rep alone will usually not get you the job though.

2) Work experience. They'll look at what experience you've had in the past. Things like part time jobs, volunteering and so on. You need to tailor how you present this on ur resume so that it shows experience that is relevant to the job you're applying for. eg I have had a part time job as a retail computer salesman and repairer during uni. While applying for management consulting positions I emphasised the client facing and analytical side of repairing computers. Again, well known company names help here but are not necessary.

3) Extra-curriculars: Next they'll look at how involved you've been outside of uni and work. This includes things like exec positions in uni societies or sports or things like debating and so on. Sports in particular go down well. Play up the teamwork aspect.

4) Other. While looking at everything they'll look at anything else that differentiates you. This includes how your resume is presented, the language used, format and so on. Your cover letter is also important. Is it specifically targeted to their company and does it focus on why you'd be asset to them or does it only explain your motivation to work there? Language and presentation is important here. Finally, anything interesting you've done. What worked for me was that I took a year off betweeen school and uni to go backpacking around the world and while doing so I volunteered as an english teacher in spain. This showed maturity, an ability to set and complete goals, problem solving, independence, communication skills and so on.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

stazi

Nightman
HSC
MaNiElla said:
Great thread.

I want to start applying for graduate jobs, and stuff because i'll be graduating this year, However, i have some questions, and i'd appreaciate if you guys can tell me about your experiences. What i'd like to know is:
- When applying for those graduate programs/internships, what do companies look for in applicants exactly?
Depends on the type of job you're applying for, but they're looking for past work experience, your communication skills, your marks: basically everything.

- How do they short list people, when they get the CV's? What part of an applicant's CV attracts them the most?
If the CV appears professional and has a good cover letter addressing the selection criteria, then you should get shortlisted

-I once heard that when big companies check your CV, 1st thing they look for is your WAM....is that true?
Nope, but it's one of the things they look for. They may see someone with a very low WAM, and cut them off on that basis. Some companies will cut people off purely on WAM (e.g. Investment Banking)

Oh, Btw stazi, i read in some thread that you work for P&G, wow thats so awesome :) What steps did you go through since you 1st decided to apply for the position that you're doing? Did you do any tests for them? etc, etc...
1) Submit CV, etc.
2) Do online questionnaire
3) Come in for a problem solving test
4) Submit a 'written interview'
5) Come in for a one-on-one interview
6) Come in for a panel interview
7) Get job

RIZAL

HSC
danielvh said:
I'm probably not really one to talk as I'm only in my 2nd year of a 4 year double degree but I've been applying for internships (and have just landed an awesome one - management consulting!). I think they look for fairly similar things for intern/grad positions.

You have to keep in mind that it varies by company and role though:

1) Marks. Probably the first thing they look at. Some companies will have a minimum requirement for their positions. eg credit average (most companies) or distinction average etc. Better marks than their minimum will add to your applicaiton. The more respected the uni you go to the more it adds to your application as well. Grades and university rep alone will usually not get you the job though.

2) Work experience. They'll look at what experience you've had in the past. Things like part time jobs, volunteering and so on. You need to tailor how you present this on ur resume so that it shows experience that is relevant to the job you're applying for. eg I have had a part time job as a retail computer salesman and repairer during uni. While applying for management consulting positions I emphasised the client facing and analytical side of repairing computers. Again, well known company names help here but are not necessary.

3) Extra-curriculars: Next they'll look at how involved you've been outside of uni and work. This includes things like exec positions in uni societies or sports or things like debating and so on. Sports in particular go down well. Play up the teamwork aspect.

4) Other. While looking at everything they'll look at anything else that differentiates you. This includes how your resume is presented, the language used, format and so on. Your cover letter is also important. Is it specifically targeted to their company and does it focus on why you'd be asset to them or does it only explain your motivation to work there? Language and presentation is important here. Finally, anything interesting you've done. What worked for me was that I took a year off betweeen school and uni to go backpacking around the world and while doing so I volunteered as an english teacher in spain. This showed maturity, an ability to set and complete goals, problem solving, independence, communication skills and so on.

Hope that helps,

Daniel
Nice one.

Which firm? If you don't want to answer, just tell me whether you are doing Mckonsulting, Bonsulting or Bainsulting? ;)

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply, danielvh and Stazi.

Btw, is submitting your CV online reliable?
I have submitted my CV online a couple of times here and there, but i keep imagining that companies wont take CV's submitted online seriously because they must receive alot each day, so there might be a chance that they just might delete e-mails with attached CV's.

Also, have any of you people, ever physically showed up to some firm to give them your CV? Who did you give your CV to? When i showed up to a company once, the receptionist took my CV from me (she told me that she'll pass it on to the right people because they're busy and stuff), and i didnt know what to tell her, or who to ask for.....it was a bit awkward :shy:

So what do you people do?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well, when internships and the like are available, you submit through their system. you don't just email them.

HSC
@Maniella the chances that your application gets lost online is probably far less than if you gave it in by hand, and as Staz said it'd be for the most part their system for grad/summer work though there are some orgs which you can email them directly but in most instances they'd probably be smaller firms.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Closest thing I'll get with the degree I have is a scholarship for Masters.

:(

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I hate how long some of the application processes are. If you get rejected at the final stage you have wasted fucking heaps of time.

nick1689

HSC
This isnt really about graduate job offers, but should you even bother to apply for summer work if you are a first year? I hear that alot of places usually only take on 2nd+ years.

X

xeuyrawp

ur_inner_child said:
Closest thing I'll get with the degree I have is a scholarship for Masters.

:(
Sifn't go overseas.

Double Rhodes - ie 20,000 GBP/year.

Göttinger Uni will throw something like 30,000 euros/year at decent international students.

And nfi where I'll be looking for grad jobs - probably any uni which will have me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)