• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Post Your Pip!!! (1 Viewer)

Jeza

HSC
‘TO WHAT EXTENT DOES THE CHANGE IN ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN, REFLECT OUR CULTURAL CHANGES, AND IS THIS PROGRESSION?’

-Introduction-

Once upon a time, it was kings who owned castles, and simple folk who owned cottages – if they were fortunate. How times have changed, or have they? Ordinary folk have been living in cottages for centuries, surrounded by the traditions, values and attitudes of community living that have passed down through the ages. Communities were nurtured in environments that supported their every need and became places of neighbourly attentiveness and shared concerns. Many of these communities became villages, centred on the land, living off the land. But, times change …
Is bigger better? I had never previously reflected on the way my micro world had changed. I perceived the present as the social norm. We have been led to believe that better is a measure of affordability and wealth, which in turn represents success and more significantly status. In an attempt to understand the occasions I have felt embarrassed for living in a small, weatherboard home as opposed to the large double-brick, multi-bathroomed house with swimming pool. I found myself wondering whether the architecture of the homes we choose is indicative of social, economic and cultural influences and change, and to what extent the changes are for the better. I felt that in the essence of the new housing developments, over time we have stamped out the continuity of the old order. Where it used to be that the home was important, its now the status & statement your house makes. And in the midst of it all are people who get left behind in the ever- accelerating train of progression.
Using a case study of an Italian family who lived on the farm homes during the 1960’s to 2005, I evaluated their experiences over the forty years. I looked at how change has pervaded their sense of continuity and cultural cohesion. What was once the lush green vegetation of the rural environment is now the glass and concrete world of the urban.
But why choose a castle? There are social ramifications in man’s choice to retreat into his castle, and change the environment. Homes in Green Valley today reflect our innate desire for creating boundaries, a desire for protection and privacy. But that was not always the case. Something has happened through the inevitable passage of time that has led us to interact in a way that demotes social connection. The new homes mark how extremely driven we are by status, and superficiality. The size of the castle symbolises that we are wealthier, healthier, we live longer, we have two cars- and we are not afraid to show it. But underneath all this forward movement, to what extent is it progression. Have we lost touch of what a home environment is in its true essence? Do we need to retreat from the pace of life? Do we need to pull up the drawbridge and protect ourselves from the stresses and pressures of everyday living? Is our castle our security and safe haven?
Using as a case study I looked at Erikson’s theory of the environment, and how our surroundings are a shaping influence to the personal identity. To what extent do we create our environment and to what extent does it create us? I attempted to test my ideas with numerous quantitative and qualitative surveys, and a series of structured and non-structured interviews with, an eco-architect, a local shire councillor and long dwelling residents.

Kulazzi

HSC
I think it's best to wait until the HSC is out of the way and the awards ceremony conducted so those who have received certificates for outstanding PIPs can post in here later as well as everyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)