• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Power AOS: of mice and men?? (1 Viewer)

ShakSparrow

HSC
wondering if 'of mice and men' could pass as reltaed text for power, if anyone has read it :s

bbychocoholic

HSC
yeah it would, i'm actually doing of mice and men. we did the book in year 10 for novel study and my year 10 teacher hinted that it would be appropriate/perfect for 'belonging'. my current teacher also said it's a good book to do.

for power... i'm not sure about cos we didn't focus on that aspect, but i'm sure if you were able to find enough examples to talk about in relation to power and analyse it it should be really good!

gesh17

HSC
N/A
It probably could, but the issue of "power" is more of a peripheral aspect to the intentions of the novel as a whole. Steinbeck, more or less, is seeking to highlight the alienated, lonely and somewhat vicarious lives of the 1930's depression working class. It has more to do with their lack of solidarity and social inclusion; i.e. there's a conversation somewhere where one of the character says something along the lines of:
"wandering from ranch to ranch...those guys ain't no fun."

muhahahahahaha

HSC
we did of mice and men in year 11 and yes, power is one of the main themes in the novel
we were talking about how Curley tries to enforce power on everyone else. tis many be because he is not taken extremely seriously because of his height, moreso the fact that his father owns the farm so he finds that he can boss everyone around, including his wife who goes and flirts with George and Lenny. However, Curley's wife also uses her power on other men to get the desire which she wants to receive from them. She tries to get desire from other men because her husband is never there for her.
i really hope this helps :)
peace out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)