Powerplay - A request for comments (please) (1 Viewer)

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
The below is copied from my post in the AOS section (Wrong section :().

Any comments _muchly_ appreciated. Thanks heaps. :D

-----------

Hmm... A suggestion. To borrow from myself:

>Even "My Sacrifice" by Creed? I don't know...

I'm using the _Video_ for Powerplay.

(I need to work this in to the following, but a bit of background:
The main part of the video consists of the singer going along in a boat, turning away from various people that are submerged under water, but are reaching out to him.
Hmm. Warning: the following contains extreme BS-ery. )

I'm ignoring the lyrics, they don't help. :D

American Flags are almost always shown in the background when the focus is on the boat - a reference to the power America has, because...

Imagery (Water)
Shows the different levels in society, eg. America _in a boat_, as opposed to those with just their hands sticking out of the water / partially submerged (developing / poor nations).
Also, in another boat, Monks dressed in Medieval period robes (monks) = a reference to the power religion has had in the past, and can be compared to America in the domination of the populace's beliefs (eg. America = Good, Saddam / Osama / Goldstein = Bad).

'America,' (in the boat) instead of helping others in need (those submerged), _pulls a copy of itself out of the water_, showing America helping itself, as well as representing the power that America has to choose which countries are made out to be successful, and which countries are depicted as evil, eg. Afganistan.

In this way, the title ('My Sacrifice') is ironic, as 'America' is not sacrificing anything - only helping itself.

I hope I hope I hope I don't get a patriotic American marker. :D

Jellymonsta

i like how you interpret the video.
i think you would have to be careful in justifying it as an example of powerplay. maybe it would take too long to do so. but it would make an interesting text.

boycalledfox

i was going to use an article talking about american hypocrisy in the whole "war on terror" deal, them being the most powerful and terrorising of all nations. but i thought it was too much work to start relating it to a question like "what is the relationship between power and language". then i would be screwed.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
I would reply with a wave of vitriol intermixed with colourful swear-words, but I'm too busy, umm... Washing my hair. So there.

How about 'Symbolism' in a big way? Hmm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)