Powerplay Supplementary Texts??? (1 Viewer)

lizzies85

i'm doin 1984, as my main text and i have a distinct lack of supplementary texts!!! can anyone help me???? i have no idea what to use, and cant remember what ones i used for my trial!!!

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
wow i'm in the exact same position as you!

I think there's a lot of stuff on powerplay and politics and government stuff at this site http://www.zmag.org and there's a lot of stuff in newspapers about iraq and the US which is powerplay.

Even songs and stuff. I think songs are good cos most of the time, the marker won't be familiar with it and therefore you can make the words up!:D

user

HSC
and if you have time to read books and stuff, try books by Noam Chomsky, William Blum or John Pilger. They're in the non fiction section of your local library.

Jellymonsta

i dont know about the other ones, but John Pilger is an excellent source for information about world powers and (some) statistics.
im using a pilger article concerning Blair's actual achievements since he gained power, and how he uses the media to put forward the sterling reputation he has... when he has done some pretty atrocious things.

http://pilger.carlton.com/

he has some really interesting things to say

Lushious

HSC
Is anyone doing wag the dog as supp material for powerplay?? Anybody know good points to reference to relate to JC??

Thanxx

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
I'm using a play by Aristophanes (doing Ancient History proves useful for something!)
Actually, if u could be bothered reading them (or they're listed on sparknotes) most of the stuff from ancient greek times relates to power play in some way or another. This esp helps if you're doing Julius Caesar bc that's ancient rome the parrallels are quite similar.

pak_indo

Yer, im doing wag the dog.
The notion that power can be manipulated and corrupted is explored within the film- text wag the dog. Wag the dog is the satirical view of how a presidential agency used the notion of if its on television, it must be real to create a war in order to divert public attention from a presidential sex scandal two weeks before the presidential election.
So, in order to create this war, Barry Levinson sets up a cast and director, as in a real movie. Conrad Brean, the man behind this propaganda decides to make the war against Albania. Why?- Because its name is sinister and no one in the US knows about the country. Wag the dog portrays the way in which a body in total control can use its power rather easily to manipulate large numbers of people.

Have you got any ideas for technique in wag the dog? Im stuffed there.

purplegerbera

Texts own choosing...

If you're really out of time, use one of your Yr 11 texts. You would have studied, and you're bound to find some way to connect them.

Good luck!

bubby

Originally posted by user
wow i'm in the exact same position as you!

I think there's a lot of stuff on powerplay and politics and government stuff at this site http://www.zmag.org and there's a lot of stuff in newspapers about iraq and the US which is powerplay.

Even songs and stuff. I think songs are good cos most of the time, the marker won't be familiar with it and therefore you can make the words up!:D
I think the issue of Us and iraq at the moment will be to controversal, and if yb chance you get a bias marker ( I know they are not meant to be but it happens) they may take offense to your views, it is very black and white either Hate or agree and with tha latest BALI insident if the marker had a person die in the blast and you say commments in favour of Iraq and such they may take great offense....

P.S some trials eg Catholic trial, not to do recewnt events of controversy eg US and well pretty much anyone.

user

HSC
Originally posted by bubby

I think the issue of Us and iraq at the moment will be to controversal, and if yb chance you get a bias marker ( I know they are not meant to be but it happens) they may take offense to your views, it is very black and white either Hate or agree and with tha latest BALI insident if the marker had a person die in the blast and you say commments in favour of Iraq and such they may take great offense....

P.S some trials eg Catholic trial, not to do recewnt events of controversy eg US and well pretty much anyone.
Yeah.

But when I wrote that...i had't heard about that Bali thing yet.
Ironic.

Fate: why do you mock me and my supplementary materials?:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)