Pracitcal gone theory (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I have to complete the following syllabus dot point (i.e final one for me) in order to successfully complete the Space topic:

perform an investigation to help distinguish between non-inertial and inertial frames of reference

However the teacher will NOT do it in practical and ask us to write it in theory via research and I wonder if anyone can assist in a discussion through past experience, thanks.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Use an accelerometer, such as a pendulum. Hang it vertically, attached to the frame of reference. If it experiences a force (therefore the frame of reference is non-inertial), it will swing to one side; if it doesn't experience a force and remains vertical, the frame of reference is inertial.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
airie said:
Use an accelerometer, such as a pendulum. Hang it vertically, attached to the frame of reference. If it experiences a force (therefore the frame of reference is non-inertial), it will swing to one side; if it doesn't experience a force and remains vertical, the frame of reference is inertial.
Hmm that gives me a brief idea, but I won't have access to an accelerometer, perhaps I shall resort to the idea of a cup full of water spilling when the car suddenly halts ?

HSC
f3nr15 said:
Hmm that gives me a brief idea, but I won't have access to an accelerometer, perhaps I shall resort to the idea of a cup full of water spilling when the car suddenly halts ?
but then the car will get wet :(

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
but then the car will get wet :(
in the name of science.

but that reminds me from an episode of "angry kid", where this kid is busting like fuck, then eventually resorts to pissing in empty bottles. a few dozen piss-filled bottles later the father/driver finally allows his son to take a dump outside and hits the brakes.
physically, the car no longer becomes an inertial frame of reference whatsoever and hence the bottles of piss hurl forward, drenching the car in urine lol.

now that is an awesome idea, but ill omit the piss in the name of decency for my response and devise an alternative.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You could try hanging something attached to a string from the ceiling of a bus or train and watch it sail up and back down. It's simple and easy to set up but there's not much else you can talk about if you want to write a detailed/long response.

jyu

HSC
Hold a brick in your hand while you stand on a chair. You feel the weight of the brick because you are an inertial frame (approx) and Newton's Laws of motion are applicable.

Now jump off the chair. While you are in the air you do not feel the weight of the brick because you are no longer an inertial frame and Newton's Laws do not apply.

:santa: :santa: :santa:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I have a perfect experiment for you.

An inertial frame of reference is any that is travelling at a constant velocity OR is not moving. A non-inertial frame is one that is accelerating (either getting faster, slower or changing direction).

When you are travelling in the family car on your way to a holiday destination you will have lots of opportunities to do this experiment. Then you just have to write it up (Aim, Hypothesis/Theory, Risk Analysis, Method, Observations, Discussion, Conclusion etc).

Take off your shoe (ew stinky) and hold it by the shoelace (now it's an accelerometer). Now, observe the shoe when you are travelling at a constant speed or stopped (which you'll probably be doing a lot of if you are travelling north at Christmas time).

Observe the shoe when you are changing direction, slowing down and speeding up. And there you go - experiment done :D

Now, you can observe the motion of a ball in flight during these times. What happens to it when you toss it up (just a little, you don't want to distract the driver), when you are constant velocity or stopped, changing directions, slowing down, speeding up. Notice how the constant motion and stopped makes the ball do the same thing (ie you cannot tell whether you are moving or not BECAUSE you are in an inertial frame of reference.

kooltrainer

HSC
wouldnt this experiment be similar to that of the G-force experiment? well, i holded up a spring balance with some weight on it.. i go on an elevator and note the change in mass..
uh, after second thought.. its quite different .. hehe~

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
kooltrainer said:
wouldnt this experiment be similar to that of the G-force experiment? well, i holded up a spring balance with some weight on it.. i go on an elevator and note the change in mass..
uh, after second thought.. its quite different .. hehe~
dude this thread is soo old y bother to revive it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)