• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Practise TechNiques for Maths Exams (1 Viewer)

EvoRevolution

HSC
Ok well i need a wide range of answers for this question, it is kind of general to both 3u and 4u.

Well i was wondering, now to study for a maths exam is it better to do past paper questions or examples from the book e.g like fitz, etc

Like some of the conics questions in fitz they just seem to hard and time consumin to be in the real exams, cause of their time consumption.

Will i guess if you can do the harder questions then u can do the easier questions, but who wants to be stuck to their chair for 1 - 2 hours tryin to work out a conic question

ibrian

HSC
by those books who cumulate past hsc questions topic by topic
i think theyre called topic by topic, cant remember

undalay

HSC
If you want to do well, you should do math throughout the year. If you do so, then studying at the last minute won't really make that much of a difference, so intensive study is not required.

I find that before an exam however, it helps to do a practice paper. This will get you going (mathematically) and allow you to have a feel for what kind of pace you need to work at.

Kurwa

HSC
if only, i used to be able to solve a integral via inspection right away if an integral needs to be at least solved via substitution.....
you learn inspection by patterns -

yeh solving by inspection is what got me in the hsc its really awesom =]

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
With conics, what I first did was learn the theory thoroughly then moved onto like terry lee and did a few questions from each exercise. It was quite heartbreaking sometimes because of the level of some of the questions though I noted the way to approach questions which really assisted me. What really helped though was doing some of the patel questions and then focusing on past paper questions. Comparitively speaking, patel has more easier conics questions though they test pretty much everything. Also, i was able to apply the techniques i found in terry lee to most of these questions and really built up some confidence. The past paper questions were really the icing on the cake and showed me the format of the question, i.e. prove/show question of a normal/tangent and then applying it to show (and in harder cases prove) equations. If you want varying difficulties of questions, start with some easier trial papers (non top 100 ranked schools) and then get stuck into selective/high ranking private school papers. Thats what worked for me anyways. Its all about building confidence and improving your technique!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)