• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Preferences (2 Viewers)

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Something like this though the list is incomplete and the order may change as I further make my mind up. I also don't expect to get my top courses, but we can always hope.
1. B Arts(Media & Communications) 98.00 (UNI of SYD)
2. BA Comm (Journalism)& Int Stds 97.60 (UTS)
3. B Asian Studies (Spec)/B Laws 95.00 (ANU)
4. BA Comm (Journalism) 93.20 (UTS)
5. B International Studies 90.20 (UNSW)
7. B Arts 83.00 (UNI of SYD)
8. B Arts 78.00 (UNSW)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
1. UNSW Med
2. Newc Med
3. Usyd Med
4. Advanced Science Usyd
5. Advanced Science UNSW
6. Science Usyd
7. Science UNSW

Might slot PHB/sci at anu somewhere in between if i can coax my parents into allowing me to put it down.

Last edited:

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
what like- You arrogant mother fucking prick!!! You think your so fucking smart!!! What if you get lower than 99 hey dick-hole?!!!

ha ha ha... sorry for not giving intended response (tongue out smiley)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
1. LLB/B Communications(Writing and Culture) @UTS
2. LLB/BA(Psych)@ MAC
3. BLibStud(Adv) @USYD
4. BSc/BA @ USYD
5. BSc/BA@ UNSW
6. BA(Psych)@MAC
7. BMedSc@MAC
8. BEd(Secondary)/BA @USYD
9. BA @ USYD
Failing these I will do a DipArts@SIBT along with CertLang@MAC & either HSC Physics or HSC Ancient History+Extension.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
1) UNSW - Bachelor of Engineering (Photovoltaics & Solar energy)/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 85.00 (78 this year, but floor cut-off of 85 will be introduced next year)
2) USYD - Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) - 98.60
3) Gong - Bachelor of Mathematics (Advanced) - 92.00
4) Gong - Bachelor of Mathematics - 75.00
5) Mac - Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) - 95.05
6) ANU - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 85.00
7) UNSW - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 75.00
8) CSU, Wagga - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 70.00
9) USYD - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 81.00
10) Mac - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 80.25

Maybe not in the order. *shrug*.

Don't much care what order they are in. Basically the plan is: if I don't get into photovoltaics, make try to get into advanced maths. If you don't get into advanced maths, get into normal maths in a cheap city (Gong, ANU, CSU). This is also a bit of a safety net - if I somehow manage to mess up big time and get less than 80, I can still do what I want at uni. End of first year, transfer into photovoltaics and maths at UNSW, or maths at UQ.

Of course, I'll also be applying in Queensland, so...

QTAC preferences:

UQ - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 88
UQ - Bachelor of Marine Studies - 85

If I don't get either of those I won't be going to Queensland in first year.

EDIT: And if I somehow manage to get less than 70, then god help me, but, UWS - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 60.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Because I'm applying to two different admission centres, I'll have two first preferences. So once I get both of them back, I'll decide which to choose. But yeah, I think it will be UQ. But that's not set in stone. I know that's a lot of maths, but I'd like to do a general science degree with mainly maths and a bit of psych or chem or comp sci or such and then once that's done, I'll choose what I want to do with my life (and if it requires another degree, so be it). There is of course plenty I could do simply with a maths degree, especially if I did a minor in computer science or biology or finance.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
It's going to be tough choosing whether to put UNSW or USyd first. Realistically I'm unlikely to make is into USyd med but if it's not at the top of the list then I'm pretty sure I don't get considered. I'll have to get some advice on this.

1. UNSW Med
2. Usyd Combined Med
3. Advanced Science Usyd
4. Advanced Science Usyd (advanced mathematics)
5. Science Usyd
6. Advanced Arts USyd
7. Newcastle Med
8. Advanced Science UNSW
9. Science UNSW

Something like that... this is the first time I've really sat down and thought of a prioritised list.

nanashi

HSC
is there any difference between med at UNSW and med at USYD?
i was thinking of putting USYD first cause it requires higher uai (99.95 like omg) than UNSW. wouldnt u think of putting the 'harder to get in' ones first? in that uac guide it says that we arent disadvantaged if we dont get our first preference

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
At USyd you complete an adv Science degree first (advanced med. science if you want) and as long as you keep a high average (Distinction I believe) then you are exempt from having to sit the GAMSAT. At UNSW it's just the straight 6 years undergrad unless you tack on arts/med or the BMedSci. Like I said, I'm unsure and I'll need to talk to people who know what happens but I think some funny stuff goes on for medicine i.e. communication about place offers. The general impression I've been given is that people only get offers to USyd combined med if it's the first preference. I don't know about UNSW though.

edit: well, they have this on their site. However, I don't know how it extends to offers.

"[Q1] Do I have to have Science/Medicine at the University of Sydney as my first preference to get an interview?
No. If you are ranked highly enough, you will receive an interview, irrespective of preference.
"

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
velox: Their website runs hot and cold. For some degrees or areas it is great, in other areas it is pretty much useless and you have to really dig around for info. If you can't find something, try both an external google search and an internal one with various possible keywords.

There's plenty of info on the residential colleges (I'm going for Union College). There's not so much info on scholarships (suffice to say, if you plan to get 99(/98), grab a form and send it away). If you plan to do anything related to biological science as your undergraduate degree, you'll be swimming in information, since the BACS (bio and chem) faculty is perhaps the strongest one at the uni (UQ = one of best bio unis in southern hemisphere).

There's a talented students programme available if you plan to do something in BACS (so something with a bit of bio or chem). About 40 people get into that each year, so it's competitive. It involves research projects (among other things) in (sometimes 1st,) 2nd and 3rd year, rather than having to wait till 4th year. I tell you this because it's unlikely you'll hear about it otherwise.

Re USyd vs UNSW: I go by this rule: List preferences in order of desire, not order of UAI.

Last edited:

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Slide Rule said:
1) UNSW - Bachelor of Engineering (Photovoltaics & Solar energy)/Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 85.00 (78 this year, but floor cut-off of 85 will be introduced next year)
2) USYD - Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) - 98.60
3) Gong - Bachelor of Mathematics (Advanced) - 92.00
4) Gong - Bachelor of Mathematics - 75.00
5) Mac - Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) - 95.05
6) ANU - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 85.00
7) UNSW - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 75.00
8) CSU, Wagga - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 70.00
9) USYD - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 81.00
10) Mac - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 80.25

Maybe not in the order. *shrug*.

Don't much care what order they are in. Basically the plan is: if I don't get into photovoltaics, make try to get into advanced maths. If you don't get into advanced maths, get into normal maths in a cheap city (Gong, ANU, CSU). This is also a bit of a safety net - if I somehow manage to mess up big time and get less than 80, I can still do what I want at uni. End of first year, transfer into photovoltaics and maths at UNSW, or maths at UQ.

Of course, I'll also be applying in Queensland, so...

QTAC preferences:

UQ - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 88
UQ - Bachelor of Marine Studies - 85

If I don't get either of those I won't be going to Queensland in first year.

EDIT: And if I somehow manage to get less than 70, then god help me, but, UWS - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) - 60.

less than 70??

dont think so.. 70 is the average i think.
ur pretty good at maths, so thats 4units already.
ur going to get ur first preference, easy.
u should really put science (adv maths) first on the list, even if u get it, and u dont want it, u can just apply for second round offer for ur next course because if u get such a high uai i doubt they wont accept u to that course. (there prob is a space)

ooo u said maybe not in that order... haha oops.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
myself said:
I go by this rule: List preferences in order of desire, not order of UAI.
Hence BE/BSc @ UNSW ranks higher than BSc (Adv.) @ USyd. I have little faith in late round offers.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, so instead of talking about me, list your own preferences, haboozin! :p

HSC
Applied finance (88) macquarie
commerce (81) wollongong

If I don't get over 80 I dont deserve to go to uni!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
At USyd you complete an adv Science degree first (advanced med. science if you want) and as long as you keep a high average (Distinction I believe) then you are exempt from having to sit the GAMSAT. At UNSW it's just the straight 6 years undergrad unless you tack on arts/med or the BMedSci. Like I said, I'm unsure and I'll need to talk to people who know what happens but I think some funny stuff goes on for medicine i.e. communication about place offers. The general impression I've been given is that people only get offers to USyd combined med if it's the first preference. I don't know about UNSW though.

edit: well, they have this on their site. However, I don't know how it extends to offers.

"[Q1] Do I have to have Science/Medicine at the University of Sydney as my first preference to get an interview?
No. If you are ranked highly enough, you will receive an interview, irrespective of preference.
"
The required mark is a YAM of 80.

In regards to Nanashi, are you one of those people that judge courses by their cut off? I'd rather not go to usyd as then im under pressure to maintain that 80YAM and besides it still has that hurdle of 99.95 lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)