preferences (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
hey all
wahts all the differences between dfee and csp
whats the benefits of each one i dun understand them
also, is there two different csp payment methods, something like up front and something else i dun know
thx

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
CSP = Commonwealth Supported Place (formerly HECS): this is the option most students select. Fees are categorised into "bands" which may be found in the UAC book, depending on the type of course undertaken. There are two ways of paying CSP fees:

1. You begin repaying your uni fees once you earn an income in Australia. What you repay is proportional to the amount you earn and you continue paying as long as you have a job (until you've paid it off).
2. Up-front, in which you pay one year's uni fee at the end of each year. Doing this will get you a 25% discount from memory.

Dfee = Domestic fee-paying: if you select this option then generally you'll be paying around 2-4 times as much as CSP, but you can get into your desired course for anywhere up to 5 UAI points less (depending on the course). Remember that not all courses have a fee-paying option.

I hope I've covered everything correctly, but afaik they're the main differences.

Pace_T

HSC
thx so much u cleared it up for me perfectly

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Pace_T said:
thx so much u cleared it up for me perfectly
No probs. Although I'm unsure about exactly how much the discount is for paying upfront. I know it's around 15-25%.

Pace_T

HSC
today i was told that it went from 25 to 20% discount now
still fairly good methinks

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
CSP = Commonwealth Supported Place (formerly HECS): this is the option most students select. Fees are categorised into "bands" which may be found in the UAC book, depending on the type of course undertaken. There are two ways of paying CSP fees:

1. You begin repaying your uni fees once you earn an income in Australia. What you repay is proportional to the amount you earn and you continue paying as long as you have a job (until you've paid it off).
2. Up-front, in which you pay one year's uni fee at the end of each year. Doing this will get you a 25% discount from memory.

Dfee = Domestic fee-paying: if you select this option then generally you'll be paying around 2-4 times as much as CSP, but you can get into your desired course for anywhere up to 5 UAI points less (depending on the course). Remember that not all courses have a fee-paying option.

I hope I've covered everything correctly, but afaik they're the main differences.
I thought if you pay for the course upfront you get 5 uai off and upto 20% of the course cost off ... i got enough to pay for the course but should i still use hecs? can i still pay towards my hecs even if im not earning the required income (i think its 20 or 30 something thousand dollars)

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
you can find all the information on DFEE and CSP in the UAC guide, its shows prices too.

this maybe stupid but when you put your preferences down, do you only get one uni offer (the highest you can get on your preferences) or can you get several uni offers?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Casmira said:
I thought if you pay for the course upfront you get 5 uai off and upto 20% of the course cost off ... i got enough to pay for the course but should i still use hecs? can i still pay towards my hecs even if im not earning the required income (i think its 20 or 30 something thousand dollars)
It's important to distinguish between paying CSP upfront and using the domestic fee-paying option.

With the latter, you can get into your desired course for anywhere up to 5 UAI points less - some uni courses may have a cut-off of only 3 UAI points less than the equivalent CSP option...it all depends on the demand for the course. And as miss_gtr said, this is for the people who have a lot of spare cash. You could find yourself paying up to 4-5 times as much as the equivalent CSP course e.g. BCom @ UNSW is around $5000/year from memory, but with Dfee it's around $19000/year

As for paying CSP upfront, you still pay the standard CSP fees, which generally range from around $3500/year to $8000/year but instead of paying after uni when you have a job, you pay at the end of each completed year of uni. For that you get a 20%-25% discount. Given what Pace_T said, I'll assume it's only 20%.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
another question regarding uac preferences...

atm i only have 3 preferences down.. when i get my uai will i be able to add/change preferences ? like if i get a crap uai or a really good one ?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yes, but there are certain courses you can't add after September 30 such as Medicine.

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
It's important to distinguish between paying CSP upfront and using the domestic fee-paying option.

With the latter, you can get into your desired course for anywhere up to 5 UAI points less - some uni courses may have a cut-off of only 3 UAI points less than the equivalent CSP option...it all depends on the demand for the course. And as miss_gtr said, this is for the people who have a lot of spare cash. You could find yourself paying up to 4-5 times as much as the equivalent CSP course e.g. BCom @ UNSW is around $5000/year from memory, but with Dfee it's around $19000/year

As for paying CSP upfront, you still pay the standard CSP fees, which generally range from around $3500/year to $8000/year but instead of paying after uni when you have a job, you pay at the end of each completed year of uni. For that you get a 20%-25% discount. Given what Pace_T said, I'll assume it's only 20%.
so essentially with domestic fee-paying option you pay that "4-5 times as much" just for a lower UAI requirement?

well I got a lot saved up for uni, car and a deposit on house however I dont want to piss it away, i think CSP is best choice and I just pay the fee's at the end of each year when they fall due, sound right?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Casmira said:
so essentially with domestic fee-paying option you pay that "4-5 times as much" just for a lower UAI requirement?

well I got a lot saved up for uni, car and a deposit on house however I dont want to piss it away, i think CSP is best choice and I just pay the fee's at the end of each year when they fall due, sound right?
Yep. Hence the complaints from some parents that students can simply "buy" their way into uni without having the required UAI.

CSP would be the best option for most people. Although, you don't have to pay up-front but the 20% discount is certainly a benefit.

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Yep. Hence the complaints from some parents that students can simply "buy" their way into uni without having the required UAI.

CSP would be the best option for most people. Although, you don't have to pay up-front but the 20% discount is certainly a benefit.
ditto - discounts rock beyond jocks!

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:

how can 5 uai "buy" their way into uni, within 5 uai of a course doesnt really classify you as a dumb shit, for example, if i miss commerce by 5 uai and get only 90, i wouldnt go and shoot myself down, 90 isnt that easy to achieve

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Casmira said:
how can 5 uai "buy" their way into uni, within 5 uai of a course doesnt really classify you as a dumb shit, for example, if i miss commerce by 5 uai and get only 90, i wouldnt go and shoot myself down, 90 isnt that easy to achieve
Missing out by 5 UAI points doesn't mean someone is dumb, but nevertheless it allows wealthier students/parents to gain access into courses that other students may not be able to enrol into. Suppose two people want to do a BCom @ UNSW, requiring a UAI of 95. One person may be rich, get a UAI of 90 and will still get in. Another person, whose family is struggling to meet financial obligations gets 94.5, and misses out. It's this concept that has lead to the idea of wealthier students "buying" their way in. Undoubtedly, it's unfair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)