prelim chem -> hsc chem (1 Viewer)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
my teacher the other day was talking about accelerated students from year 10 doing prelim chem/physics and saying how the content in year 11 chem/physics doesnt mean much coz the year 12 hsc chem/physics content does not really relate much to it. he sed if it was possible - every1 shud have just started the hsc course straight away

is this true?

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
i wouldnt totally agree to that... there are some major concepts carried forward from prelim like moles and solubility rules etc.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
I agree; prelim, even though not all of it is great, some of it is very useful, eg. hydrocarbons nomenclature, relationships between bonding, molecular weight and b.p., some of the solubility rules, molar calculations etc. If you learn that, then the rest of prelim chem is unnecessary.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
i'd agree with both above, u need a lot of prelim work as a basis of hsc...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
i bludged the entire chemistry prelim and i mean entirely

i got 19/100 for my yearly

now i only started studiyng chem during my halfyearly and im getting 80%+

pri

HSC
N/A
i came waaay below avg for prelim chem, coz I neva studied, and now im in da top ten....hehehe

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
it's easier if you have a firm grasp of the concepts in prelim chem, esp stuf like molecular structure, bonding, moles etc because you know what they're talking about in hsc chem...

but i think prelim chem was so much more fun than hsc chem...
we got a lot more pracs, a lot more explosions, a lot more mess...
hsc chem pracs are just smelly.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
your teacher is 100% right. year 11 does have some basic ideas that you need for year 12, but that can all be covered in the hsc course in like a day.

i wish i had a teacher like yours who actually understand the hsc so i could've accelerated in all my courses.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i guess it would be possible, but they would need to spend time going over the theory side of some stuff like moles and all that if you havnt done prelim it would make no sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)