prelim help (1 Viewer)

FesuY

HSC
How do i study for a test? Specifically for a content heavy subject like legal or eco. So far I have no study notes for each subject (but I have class notes). Do i perhaps need to write my own study notes for the WHOLE syllabus for each or can I get away with using the notes in this website. I am a bit skeptical as i rememeber my legal teacher telling my that I wont learn or using someone elses notes wont help.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Writing your own notes helps you summarise the topic with your own personal spin on the matter. However, if you know the content well enough, reading anyone elses notes should make complete sense. Personally I prefer looking at other peoples notes to see the gaps in my knowledge and then filling them up by doing my own research. You can definitely learn off other people's notes. Just make sure you use a variety of notes so that you have multiple interpretations of a topic.

nourished.

HSC
How do i study for a test?
Yep, you won't retain everything from someone else's notes. However, writing your own notes by summarising someone else's is efficient af.

They've already summarised the textbook for you. You just need to further summarise their notes.

In relation to studying for the test:
  1. Make your own notes. They should be concise af. Cheat sheets, almost.
  2. Do past papers.

may22

HSC
For content heavy subjects, obviously make sure you understand everything with any notes you take/read, but practise questions are a great way to put that knowledge to the test. Give yourself a time limit to replicate exam pressure and give it what you've got.

FesuY

HSC
Thanks for the responses guys, but my prelims are in like a week a half and I have only done 1 topic worths of notes for business,l egal and eco.

may22

HSC
Thanks for the responses guys, but my prelims are in like a week a half and I have only done 1 topic worths of notes for business,l egal and eco.
How are you going with english and any other subjects?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
First, it is important to keep in mind that your Preliminary exams will not contribute in any way to your ATAR. Because of this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to approach your exams in a more relaxed manner, although it is definitely a good thing that you want to perform well.

In terms of Business Studies and Economics, and considering the fact that your Preliminary exams are in a week and a half, you are probably better off using pre-made notes instead of making your own, mainly because the latter approach will be inefficient considering the insufficient time you have to make good quality notes, and potentially ineffective because even if you manage to make good quality notes within that time, you will likely find that you no longer have enough time to actually study. Studying the content using someone else's notes is definitely not a detrimental strategy in the case of Business Studies and Economics. You should find good quality Preliminary notes for Business Studies and Economics and begin studying. Here are links to some good quality Business Studies and Economics notes which I believe you will find helpful:

I hope this helps! :D

FesuY

HSC
How are you going with english and any other subjects?
English and math im pretty confident. Physics im dropping. Business and Eco I have a decent understanding of the content and legal im a bit iffy with.

FesuY

HSC
First, it is important to keep in mind that your Preliminary exams will not contribute in any way to your ATAR. Because of this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to approach your exams in a more relaxed manner, although it is definitely a good thing that you want to perform well.

In terms of Business Studies and Economics, and considering the fact that your Preliminary exams are in a week and a half, you are probably better off using pre-made notes instead of making your own, mainly because the latter approach will be inefficient considering the insufficient time you have to make good quality notes, and potentially ineffective because even if you manage to make good quality notes within that time, you will likely find that you no longer have enough time to actually study. Studying the content using someone else's notes is definitely not a detrimental strategy in the case of Business Studies and Economics. You should find quality Preliminary notes for Business Studies and Economics and begin studying. Here are links to some good quality Business Studies and Economics notes which I believe you will find helpful:

I hope this helps! :D
Yeah i guess thats a better alternative. Thanks for the response bro

may22

HSC
Are you the kind of person who understands better through writing their own notes?

I sort of built this habit agesss ago, so even though I don't have long till my exams start, I'm confident I'll get it done in time. I mean, I'm not a fancy, Pinterest-style note taker, but it just helps me compile my knowledge and make sure I don't miss anything

But like jimmysmith said, year 11 marks don't count to your ATAR; are you hoping to apply for any kind of early entry though?

FesuY

HSC
Are you the kind of person who understands better through writing their own notes?
Not really but it does help.
are you hoping to apply for any kind of early entry though?
Probably not considering i bludged a lot of year 11

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Doing notes are great supplements when you're learning the content, at least thats how I feel, when I have a page which I am trying to essentially create an effective and efficient cheat sheet, it forces me to identify the aspects of topics that are not as memorable in the long run as opposed to aspects which I can easily recognise, for example in Financial Markets, I wouldn't consider knowing the definitions of shareholder or say investor as worthy as knowing how the Corridor System works and its effects. This would make me actively engaged in the content as opposed to just writing down lines and paragraphs subconsciously - again this is just for me, I'm sure people would disagree.

In that light, they are only supplements and it's a far stretch to claim notes are a strong component of exam-prep; personally they just cover the material I know I'll forget in some weeks. Try creating notes alongside learning eco in the future and see how that goes, I feel this is the most content heavy subject so far; equivalent to business studies. For now, if you do need notes, just get them off the economics notes and resources in the site and you can casually skim over it.

As of now, just do as much practice papers for eco as you can and don't worry about getting marks - the parts you struggle on will indicate the areas you need to revise for e.g getting confused with demand shifters -> revise markets and shifters. In this way, you can just focus on patching up your weaknesses rather than spending too much time on just eco, assuming you're aiming to be as efficient as possible.

nourished.

HSC
Well, good news is that prelim does not count towards your HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)