• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prelim. IPT questions (2 Viewers)

Brontecat

HSC
I've loooked on the internet, in my textbook and on the bored website but thus far have been unable to answer the following questions:

1. Identify and compare and contrast the .doc, .pdf, .txt and .htm file formats for text data.

2. Describe some of the different ways that software can be used to edit and manipulate data?

3. Using this link HowStuffWorks "How Flash Memory Works" briefly explain what flash memory is and what it is used for? (if you understand what the website's talking about please be patronising and use simple language :) )

4. Briefly explain the types of software used to send and receive data over networks and using modems.

5. What are mash-ups?

Thankyou to everyone that responds :)

K

khorne

1. Identify and compare and contrast the .doc, .pdf, .txt and .htm file formats for text data.

2. Describe some of the different ways that software can be used to edit and manipulate data?

3. Using this link HowStuffWorks "How Flash Memory Works" briefly explain what flash memory is and what it is used for? (if you understand what the website's talking about please be patronising and use simple language :) )

4. Briefly explain the types of software used to send and receive data over networks and using modems.

5. What are mash-ups?
1. Look at some features: File size, quality, does it support rt, accessibility, security, software needed, how easy it is to organise data in it, and any other features. You can find most of this on wikipedia under each filetype.

2. Word -> edits text data
Photoshop -> edits image data
Audacity -> edits sound
Flash -> multimedia
Things like this...eg. different software targets and edits different types of data.

3. Read the article and link back to any particular points you don't understand.

4. Email clients? Networking clients etc? Like lotus notes.

Jaylee42003

HSC
I've loooked on the internet, in my textbook and on the bored website but thus far have been unable to answer the following questions:

5. What are mash-ups?

Thankyou to everyone that responds :)

Lol, might as well just send you my yr 9-10 IST textbook, it's got all this stuff. :)

Jaylee42003

HSC
Okkaaayy, well, I thought I'd make myself useful and help you out while I'm sick in bed.

1. I don't really understand this question when it says 'text data', but this is what my textbook had:

'Data types
Data exists in several different forms. The data type is the sort of
data such as text and hypertext, graphics, audio, video and
animation.
Text is data in the form of letters, numbers and other special
characters. A word processor allows text to be entered and
documents to be created (see Figure 3.4). It is used to write letters,
reports, assignments, articles and books. Text is also entered into
most software applications. Text is edited in many different ways such
as deleting, inserting, moving and copying. The meaning of the text
is determined by reading the text. Text is stored as an ASCII code.
Some common file extensions for text include DOC, TXT and RTF.
The data type in some applications, such as a database, needs to
be detailed. It requires the user to specify the exact nature of the data:
• alphanumeric—all keyboard characters
• numeric—numbers only
• alphabetic—letters only
• Boolean—true or false
• currency—money
• date—day, month, year.''

2. For this question I'd use an example of a software to describe how software can be used to edit and manipulate data...you could use Audacity as an example of a program that allows the user to edit and manipulate audio data. Or Adobe Photoshop for graphical data etc. Make sure you pick ones you know and understand so that you can describe them effectively.

3. Flash memory is, in "patronising terms", :lol: portable storage, (and therefore a flashdrive is a portable storage device) of which is external and separate from a computer's memory.

In other words: it's memory that is transportable and not reliant on a computer...so if the computer blows up:bomb:, you've still got the data saved on the flash drive, provided that the flash card was not within the destruction zone and it survived lol. Not that your computer would literally 'blow up'. :rofl:

A good example of a flash memory device is the memory cards you slot into your PS2. The data is saved on the FLASH CARD not the COMPUTER.

Flash memory is simply used for storing and transferring data between computers. It is also used to back-up original copies on computer hard drives.

You don't really need to know much more than that :)

4. :confused: No. Freakin'. Idea. Lol. But I'll try for ya anyway :D I don't know if that's referring to like email/internet software??? Or LAN/WAN chat programs? I can identify hardware but software? :( I don't have a clue. Sorry :( I don't really get this question, esp. the 'using modems' bit. That just makes it super confuzzling :confused:

5. Oh! oh! I know what a mash-up is! Pick me! :D I LOVE mash-up's :D A mash-up is (and this isn't from the textbook but my general knowledge) is a type of song, similar to a remix, that combines two or more songs together, for example: Linkin Park's 'Numb' and Britney Spear's 'Toxic'.
To fully understand what a mash-up is, I think it's best you hear one yourself. Go to YouTube and search 'Mash up' or something similar. You can go here: YouTube - "Tick-Toxic" - Mash Up of Britney Spears & Gwen Stefani for a good example.

If you want, I can send my textbook to you in the post...I don't ever use it anymore...

Hope that somewhat helps :)

Last edited:
K

khorne

3. Flash memory is, in "patronising terms", :lol: portable storage, (and therefore a flashdrive is a portable storage device) of which is external and separate from a computer's memory.
I think they meant how it works..i'd be pretty sure everyone knows what Flash memory is.

Brontecat

HSC
u shuld try asking ur teacher because most people will do something slightly different in their exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)