Prelim to HSC success stories (1 Viewer)

teridax

HSC
N/A
Nah, still think prelims mean absolutely nothing. Save your time and your energy preparing yourself for year 12. If you're a person who never tries hard then they're never going to get a good ATAR anyway. The HSC comes down to how hard you work - with a little bit of how smart you work thrown in there.

And my comment was all about "mentally preparing for year 12". Don't be depressed, reset yourself and get ready to soak in that info in year 12.

Stressing over prelims will just do you more harm than good, and like I said there's no point.

Your prelim report however will be used for some scholarships (e.g. they ask you to provide your marks). But that's it.
Hard work and a strong ethic is definitely good, but natural talent is also important.

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly though, for preliminary, try your best but don't worry too much if you don't do as well as you expected. But be worried if you're on the middle-bottom of the cohort if you're in a crappy school.

I for one would think that if you did jack all for maths during year 7-10, you should be working a lot more in year 11 to fix up all the foundations (i.e. your algebra skills, as well as the year 11 2U course in general since most of it repeats year 9 and 10.). Can't say too much for the other subjects except that you just need to get used to the feel of prelims so that you can feel mentally capable of doing the HSC.

In my case, for English Advanced - beginning prelim rank = 150/170, end ranking was like 75/150, but external mark was 89 (1 off 90, fml).
Legal studies - 28/40 was my beginning of prelim rank, in the end I ended up coming 10/35 and got a HSC mark of 89.

For maths though, I was bottom half for the end of year 10 maths, because I never studied or revised for exams properly. Come down to year 12 and I come first in MX1 in the cohort. In MX2 I came 3rd, but meh.

Things can really change from year 10 to year 11 and to year 12. So make the most out of it.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone have any success stories of anyone doing abysmally/average in prelim and do incredibly well for their HSC and got a gr8 atar?

I just got prelim marks back and I'm losing faith, pls help TT__TT
One of my students was ranked 100+ in preliminary physics at Baulko (Exact rank escapes me atm, but it was around 116?).

He ended up equal second in Physics, ATAR of 99.80. I told him in the first or second lesson I had him that he could state rank. He nearly got there. The guy who he was tied 2nd with state ranked, as did the student ranked behind him in third. He just muffed a couple qs in the examination!

Flop21

HSC
Hm... well I was 2nd in biology last year... now I'm first yay.

sharoooooo

HSC
i was ranked very close to the bottom of my class for phys,chem and maths, but now in the top half :)

i got kicked out of Accelerated maths in yr11, but now ranked ~5-7th in maths :jump:

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I didn't try in prelim but improved in the hsc and got a good ATAR and coop scholarship

Hammy03

HSC
I had a family friend who went to James Ruse. During her prelims, she was like near the bottom (ranked 100+) of her cohort for English adv. She then managed to get above 90+ for English, with an ATAR of 98.95. I know this is only English, but thats the only story I can think off.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I went from almost failing first English exam in prelim (got 8/15) and screwed up another task in the year as well (can't remember exact mark) to almost state ranking in Year 12 with a 97, it can be done :) Also some other subjects maths I did accelerated 2 unit but first time around I was ranked around 17-20/65, when I repeated it year 12 got 1st. Similar improvement in ext 1 math went from 8 or 9th/17 pre trials to tied 2nd. HSC is all about hard work and efficient study, if you do that you can improve whatever mark you got in prelims you just have to identify what went wrong and fix it. Also had many friends go from middle of the class to the top 3 in year 12 in chemistry and physics because we worked together. Best thing you can do for your HSC is make friends with people who are also motivated to do well and form study groups and share resources with them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)