Preliminary Advanced Maths Indicies Word Problem. (1 Viewer)

AlienWithLiberty610

HSC
Please help a student in need with a worked solution. Word problems will be the death of me. I feel like the question isn’t ”hard”, but I can’t get my head around it.

64D92FDB-2C4F-45EF-9982-26546229DF91.jpeg

c_z_m

HSC
Unfortunately, word problems are on the rise due to the implementation of the new HSC Maths Advanced syllabus. It sucks, but you'll have to get used to them. Trust me, the 2020 and 2021 HSC did have some word problems that require you to have a good understanding of, well, words to then link them to relevant maths concepts.

To help with your understanding, I won't give you a solution but rather hints to help you. Hopefully you can understand.

22 (a) - If a neutron is kg, how many many neutrons would you need to get a total of 1 kg?

[If an apple was 2kg, how many apples would you need to get to a total of 10kg? 10/2 = 5, right? So total mass/individual mass. Use this same method.]

(b) - Just a substitution question. r = . Units are in metres cubed ()

(c) - Mass: given in part (a), Volume: use your answer from (b). This question says "its" - by that it refers to the neutron's approximate density. This might be a bit vague, but in the HSC they would clarify it.

[Write out units - density would be in ]

Last edited:

AlienWithLiberty610

HSC
Unfortunately, word problems are on the rise due to the implementation of the new HSC Maths Advanced syllabus. It sucks, but you'll have to get used to them. Trust me, the 2020 and 2021 HSC did have some word problems that require you to have a good understanding of, well, words to then link them to relevant maths concepts.

To help with your understanding, I won't give you a solution but rather hints to help you. Hopefully you can understand.

22 (a) - If a neutron is kg, how many many neutrons would you need to get a total of 1 kg?

[If an apple was 2kg, how many apples would you need to get to a total of 10kg? 10/2 = 5, right? So total mass/individual mass. Use this same method.]

(b) - Just a substitution question. r = . Units are in metres cubed ()

(c) - Mass: given in part (a), Volume: use your answer from (b). This question says "its" - by that it refers to the neutron's approximate density. This might be a bit vague, but in the HSC they would clarify it.

[Write out units - density would be in ]
Thank you so much! It took me a good amount of minutes but I got there! Not good news at all that there are more of these annoying word problems coming up, but I guess I’m just going to have to practice. My main error is just not reading and understanding the question properly.

Thank you once again, it really is a relief to get this crap off my shoulders. At least for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)