• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary Maths ext.1 (1 Viewer)

Jono_2007

My fingers are slowly slipping off a cliff!....HEL
HSC
I am just wondering wether or not to study extension 1 maths next year (2006). I'm faily good at maths and did reasonably weel in the school certificate. I have got the excel preliminary mathematics book and am finding all the work easy, but i want some opinions on wether ext1 maths is woth the extra work.

Any help on this would be great!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If you find the work easy then definitely do it. It also gives you the option to do ext 2 in year 12.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I agree with Templar. If you are comfortable with maths prelim, then go for it. ;)

Stan..

HSC
Just start working through the work, after that you should get a pretty good idea of the difficulty. As for Extension 2, Only time will tell.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm... I don't know really. Everything in prelim ext maths was pretty straighforward for me! :D

A l

HSC
N/A
Basically, Extension Mathematics builds on the 2 unit course. You go through more or less the same topics as Mathematics 2 Unit, but in Extension there are more concepts that are learnt on the same topic. There are some topics that are unique to Mathematics Extension 1 and is not covered in 2 unit Mathematics.

If you've done some Preliminary work already, then here's a little preview of the syllabus: (*means only covered in 3/4 unit)
1. Basic Arithmetic and Algebra
*Extension students also do "other inequalities" such as x/(x + 1) > 1 where you need to consider the possibility of the unknown being negative and whether or not to change the sign if you put the denominator on the other side.

2. Plane Geometry
*Extension students would do circle geometry in addition to this.

3. Probability

4. Real Functions of a Real Variable and Their Geometrical Representation

5. Trigonometric Ratios
*Extension students also do sums and differences of angles (i.e. sin(A+B) and cos(A+B)) as well as t-formulae, trigonometric identities and general solutions

6. Linear Functions and Lines
*Extension students will in learn in addition to this, the angle between two lines (in terms of co-ordinate geometry) as well as internal and external division of an interval in a given ratio

7. Series and Applications
*Extension students will do Mathematical Induction and applications in addition to this

8. The Tangent to a Curve and the Derivative of a Function

9. The Quadratic Polynomial and the Parabola
*Extension students will also do Parametric representation of the parabola as well as proving properties of chords, normals and tangents etc

10. Geometrical Applications of Differentiation

11. Integration
*Extension students will learns methods of integration, including reduction to standard forms by very simple substitutions

12. Logarithmic and Exponential Functions

13. The Trigonometric Functions
*Extension students will also do primitive functions of sin²x and cos²x

14. Applications of Calculus to the Physical World
*students doing Extension will cover the equation dN/dt = k (N – P), where k is the population growth constant, and P is a population constant as well as simple harmonic motion and projectile motion

*The following topics are ONLY covered in Extension Mathematics, so if you take 2 Unit Mathematics, you will not have to learn, or will miss out on these topics:
15. Inverse Functions and the Inverse Trigonometric Functions

16. Polynomials

17. Binomial Theorem

18. Permutations, Combinations and Further Probability

The hardest topic will depend on the individual. For me, it is usually Permutations, Combinations and Further Probability.

I

icycloud

Ext 1 is definitely worth it! Pick it up now, you can always drop it later!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
We only did 1 to 9.
-Extension 1 maks 2unit maths easy.
-It also builds overs 2u maths.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
In year 11 we did:

1,2,4,5,6,8,9(2unit level), 16

Not in order lol

YBK

HSC
Jono_2007 said:
Thanks heaps, iv changed over two 3-unit/maths extension1 and am thinking about engineering as a career.
but just one more thing...how much more study time is allocated to maths/and 3-unit.
much more.

40 minutes per night, and u'll do well.

YBK

HSC
Jono_2007 said:
Well for me doing well would be 70-80% in the average 3-unit test!
you'd probably need 1 hr study per night for that... depends i guess.. hmmm

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Jono_2007 said:
Well for me doing well would be 70-80% in the average 3-unit test!
Great!! So that means you'll get 90-100% in an easy 3 unit text!! XD

But seriously, if you can average or get higher than 70-80 every assessment, you are definitely on top of maths and should go for ext 2. ;)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Look, it's like this: You don't know what, by the end of the HSC, you might screw up or you might kick arse at. So what you should do is take extension maths now, then decide LATER what to drop. You'd be surprised how much your opinion about a subject can change, and how much you'd like to drop it, or have some other units replace it.

Extension maths may be the unit you want to drop, sure... but equally it might be the unit you want to keep.

And BTW: Don't worry about averages. I'd say my average in year 12 was about 60% to 70%, but I ended up with 97 aligned. It all depends on test difficulty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)