• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preparation for the exams (1 Viewer)

DrEaM_mUi

:argue:

With trials nearing and HSC external tasks coming up... I was wondering, has everyone done all the topics for Continuers and Extension...

The Current Issue Topic is so freaking wide...
How the hell are you suppose to prepare all those stuff...and not knowing want the examiner might give you...

I'm trying to write point form notes for as many issue as i can find...just wondering...how is everyone else preparing for it????:confused: :apig: :confused:

Gemstone

Well I just write down notes for all the senior structures and do the reading and writing tasks in my textbook on the topics. I also use the excel book because it's got so much extra stuff.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
yeah...we've finished with our syllabus and just doing revision, especially HEAPS of practise for extension speaking.

i'm just looking through all the senior structures and trying to memorise all the vocab.

hmm...for the issues, i think it's a good idea to write down whole chunks of writing and memorise that too...of course after the teacher has checked it

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
my extention speaking plan: Look at the band 3-4 examples on the standards package, write the transcripts as im listening too them, say them out loud as im writing it and then latch on to awesome sentences that i can use.

Last edited:

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
do they put names on the sample answers in standards package?

Gemstone

Nah they don't put names on the answers in the standards packages. I haven't seen an '03 standards package though.

Oh btw I'm only doing continuers so the Issues thing isn't in my sylabus. At least I don't think so.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
they usually do two years in a row, so 2001 and 2002... which sort of sucks because the ototake stuff has nothing to do with what we learn :(

And issues are only for extention me thinks.

My advice for continuers speaking is to prepare two or three sentences for each possible question (definatly no more)... a lot of questions you can just use the same 2 sentences for anyway.

Also prepare a speach thing on a few topics that goes for 1-2 minutes. Thats another question they will ask you in your speaking test. So if they ask you "Have you been to japan?" and you say yes, then they dont ask you any other questions about it, chances are thats what you'll have to speak on.

kochou

i don't even know how to study for continuers, ever since mid year 11 no-one in my class does...possibly look over the senior structures...

we've covered all the topics but seriously, you have a dictionary, what else can you do???

and i don't like ototake....i hate the situational analysis

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ototake rocks! Despite the fact that our teacher's mantra was "how does a limbless man wipe his butt".

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
doesnt the japanese toilet help with that? I mean it squirts water at your bum to clean it... maybe he had a special one with toilet paper.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
maybe he found a way to get round it like how he uses his chin to write?

DrEaM_mUi

hahah...cool suggestion...
i think i'll start writing lots and memorising lots now...
mihahaha...who knows...after hsc i might not remember anymore then...
hahah...thanks people...

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
nah u just make up some stuff about something you overcame like you didnt have any friends or something but then you changed yourself or you joined a club and then you managed to get some friends

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Our teacher said he probably used his tongue. Enough about that though, keep the suggestions coming about study tips! As soon as I finish my own exams I'll see if I can remember how I studied Japanese. :)

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
for speaking i went through the sample answers and highlighted the good sentences and arguments. you probably need to write them out a couple of times to remember them and do it for all the topics because you don't know what questions you'll get. practice writing out your notes as you would for the exam with the 10 min prep time and then record your speech so you can see how you're going. maybe get a teacher or a student to check it for you and then just work at stuffing in more structures and sentences

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
i find it a little hard... because im doing drama and thats on about the same time as japanese speaking... and im sort of weird so i get scared that when im memorising japanese and drama at the same time that ill combine the 2 lol.

we'll see how we go though

Last edited:

DrEaM_mUi

i just do tonnes of practice essays and questions...i think it is a good way to practice writing and at the same time remembering what you are learning,,,,

>.<

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
look through your vocab booklets and then look for common english words you use... then be like wow thats useful, so write it lots.

And after you've learnt a few common english ones, look through the japanese saying the words to yourself, when you find ones that sound funny, write them down too.

it makes exams lots more fun... you are writing your composition and then your like, what word can i use here? Then you think of a funny one and it makes you smile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)