• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

preparing for hsc...thoughts (2 Viewers)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hi, just want to ask everyone, how they spend their time everyday in terms of studying hours. how many hours do you all study a day? a week? handling pressure..etc..
i try and study about 6- 6n1/2 hours a day...parents still think its not enough...god knows what the hell im supposed to do....

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You should never be doing more than 3 hours a day maximum, IMHO.

pig_93

HSC
im not studying that much. i do 3hrs a day if im lucky

3hrs times 5 = 15hrs in the week
and weekend i do anywhere from 3-8hrs (like this weekend ill only get like 4hrs done cos i "have to" go out lol)

so on average, say about 20hrs at this stage?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Geez I feel bad. I'm lucky if I manage one hour.

pig_93

HSC
really? thats not that good
but then again ppl would laugh at my hours
what types of subs do u do?
i do like sac, bus, legal, modhis, ex1eng, genmaths
so its mostly like humanities i guess

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
4 unit mathematics, chemistry, software, advanced English.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
hi, just want to ask everyone, how they spend their time everyday in terms of studying hours. how many hours do you all study a day? a week? handling pressure..etc..
i try and study about 6- 6n1/2 hours a day...parents still think its not enough...god knows what the hell im supposed to do....

well I've recently tried to use my weekends to complete all set tasks that i think i may get throughout the week...which gives me more study time during the week...

however during school days i use my study time to write my chemistry and physics notes... and usually at night for about 1 hour i work on my English Extension 2 major work.....

but this weekend....

i plan on doing approximately 23 hours of study + homeowork combined...

i did 2 hours of study for my maths assessment which is going to be in week 5... and on sunday i willl study 3 hours physics and 3 hours chemistry....

when u say u study 6 to 6.5 hours... is that during school days and is that including homwork/assessment tasks.... I would usually only end up with probably 1 hour pure study at the end of the night...

but with my new technique of writing a timetable every day for what i wish to do on that particular day i find that i'm left with 3 hours study a night... (which as i said i've been using to write notes)...

as for pressure... the only subject that really puts pressure on me is physics... because we're like 1 whole module behind.... and now we have to take after school classes to catch up.. and another subject is english advanced..... i HATE english assessments they're so boring and take so much time compared to other assessments for other subjcets that have the same weighting...

but .... if u r doing 6 hours of work/study a night i don't see how u can do more? except maybe u can do more on the weekend...

It aslo depends on whne u go to sleep... for me it's become a habbit... i just can't sleep before 12... which gives me 7.5 hours to space my study tome out evenly for the day (on days when i don't have sports after school)....

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i dont study. the most i do i homework that was actually set by the teacher,

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
really! i try and study as much as possible, just gets on my nerve at times and makes me fall asleep....i try bout 6 hrs....and cram alot sometimes.....hurts my head...lol

mishka

HSC
N/A
try not to take others' study habits as gospel... you know whether or not you're doing enough for YOU because only YOU know how you work. :)

FinalFantasy

HSC
mishka said:
try not to take others' study habits as gospel... you know whether or not you're doing enough for YOU because only YOU know how you work. :)
but u do need to look at others study habits, and even if u know ur doing enuff.. if others are doing HEAPS more, den u should try to improve ur own study habits cuz dis HSC is a competition.

mishka

HSC
N/A
i guess it's easy for me to say because i've "been there, done that", but you really have to put this into perspective. the HSC is not the be all and end all. there are other ways around things, and if you are totally committed to a goal, you will do what you have to do to get there.

it just makes me angry when i hear about people stressing out, getting depressed, thinking that their life is not worth living etc. and for what?? some flimsy bit of paper to recognise the 13 YEARS of your life you spent at school. and not angry at the people, angry at the system and how competitive and stressful it becomes.

ironically, i am going to uni for 4 years so i can go back... how crazy is that??!! :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh i agree with mishka in some aspects. just study the things that oyu have trouble with, and what you think you think you need to study for. it is not what people think you need to study for. year 12 is known for being a time for independant learning. do it independantly and do your best with your studying. you can't ask anymore of yourself.

say if you need the 6 hours study to understand a concept, so be it then. but don't study just for the point of studying.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
miss_gtr said:
lol what a scary thought, i thought the competition in school was freaky enough... its kinda scary when im only getting marks from 70-80 and others in sydney schools aer like 95-100 for all their subs
exactly what im thinking...im sitting here thinking 86 is alriteee...and people get like 100...darn. stupid hsc, they shouldn't make it such a huge deal so people don't get as stressed....but then again....then if people don't get stressed at all and don't worry about it...people would do crap...

mishka

HSC
N/A
i'm not saying don't do any work, just don't overdo it. don't allow yourself to get to that point of stress, depression, etc. if you know you've done your best, that's all you can do. i was under a lot of pressure last year, especially concerning marks, and in the end, i got great marks, but didn't dux the grade as people "expected." it's just the way things happen. and things happen for a reason. :)

bEAbEA

HSC
miss_gtr said:
lol what a scary thought, i thought the competition in school was freaky enough... its kinda scary when im only getting marks from 70-80 and others in sydney schools aer like 95-100 for all their subs
Yeah, I'm with you on that one! I live in the country, and although I get high marks, I'm sure they aren't high compared to more competitive schools in sydney. I try to get at least three hours of homework done a night, sometimes more, sometimes less. That includes about half and hour study - dot point revision and past tests etc. I'm trying to do more, but sites like this one can really chew up my time.

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
My only study is homework and preparing for/doing assignments. Afetr reading about what everyone else does and asking some of the super freaky people in my year how they study...I feel quite guilty. And stupid. Like I should study more? But I don't wanna.

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
6 hours a day, that is way too much. Either it doesnt get through cause 6 hours in a night is tough unless u go till 11 or 12 without breaks and im guessing u dont have any other commitments outside school?

6 hours is just crazy.

I can do 5 hours max a day, but that is when i dont have sport or anything else on. im aiming pretty high but u cant kill urself during ur last yr of school. I havent done work in 4 days now, finished exams and had parties. And it was great, times that u will look back on when ur older, i wouldnt waste ur time just studying 6 hours a day just to get an extra .5 on ur UAI.

Time to to some hardocre study now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)