Prions (1 Viewer)

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
- Defective forms of a protein molecule; they are an abnormal shape, although the chemical make-up of the protein remains the same.
- Prions can alter other proteins to develop more prions, so that the change spreads like a chain reaction.
- Mostly attacks brain or nerve cells
- non-living
-examples include:-Mad Cow disease in cattle, and scrapie in sheep.

untamedanimal

Those two are the easiest examples to remember but if they ask for human diseases some are: Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease, Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome, Fatal familial Insomnia, Alpers Syndrome

Unfortunately theres none i can find that have easy names to remember

queenie

HSC
Originally posted by untamedanimal
Those two are the easiest examples to remember but if they ask for human diseases some are: Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease, Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome, Fatal familial Insomnia, Alpers Syndrome

you know what the name of the prion that causes those diseases is called? (for example, AIDS is caused by the HIV virus, so im guessing we've got to know the cause of a particular type of disease caused by prions, but i dnt know any specific names of them)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A

Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease is usually just called CJD, if that helps in remembering the name. :)

untamedanimal

Originally posted by queenie
you know what the name of the prion that causes those diseases is called? (for example, AIDS is caused by the HIV virus, so im guessing we've got to know the cause of a particular type of disease caused by prions, but i dnt know any specific names of them)
I dont think you need to know the name of the actual pathogen causing the disease, just the disease name and the type of pathogen causing it

queenie

HSC
I dont think you need to know the name of the actual pathogen causing the disease, just the disease name and the type of pathogen causing it
u need to know the cause of the disease...and the cause is the type of prion/virus (or watever) i think ive stated this example before, but the flu is caused by the influenza virus,.. aids is caused by the hiv virus..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)