Problem, need urgent help...plz (communication) (1 Viewer)

leeraff

HSC
hello ppl, i need help with a dot point. Firstly im sorry if it has been answered somewhere else, but i couldnt find it.

Basically it is this.

define the term threshold and explain why not all stimuli generate an action potential :chainsaw:

ive been told by my teach a bit of stuff.....but im not sure how deep we are meant to go into it. If somebody could provide some guidence i would be forever gratefull!! :)

THX!!

swordfish

The threshold is the amount of positive charge in membrane potential which is required before an action potential is produced. The depolarisation must reach a threshold which is at least 15mV more positive than resting potential of -70mV.
Also, each stimulus produces either a full action potential or none at all. Each action potential is a separate event. Therefore, a cell cannot produce another action potential until the previous one is complete.

well, that's straight from my notes, i dont think there's that much more to say....that's all i have anyway. I hope it helps a little! :)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Whoo! I was just about to type that! I got that pretty much exactly off a guy at the Helpline. Thanks swordfish!

BTW if you're worried about the graph (2nd column), think of the activation energy graph you use in chem. Looks like that

Leap

free falling
HSC
BTW if you're worried about the graph (2nd column), think of the activation energy graph you use in chem. Looks like that
i'm worried about the graph but i don't do Chem.
Could anyone explain, or maybe scan a copy of what this graph should look like for me? I'm so confused :(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hmmm

well up to a point, there is no reaction to a stimulus

e.g if you walk into a dark room, you either see colour or you dont

once you reach the threshold, you can see colour

the graph looks like this:

swordfish

i think they would be more likely to give the data and ask us to plot it on a grid. It seems a bit cruel to ask us to remember all the numbers (even by board of studies standards!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)