• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

problems with the y axis intergration (1 Viewer)

red802

HSC
N/A
1) calculate the area bounded by the graph of y=1/4x^2, the axis and the lines y = 0, y=1 lying in the first quadrant ( what is the first quadrant)

2) calculate the area enclosed by the curve y=4x^2, the y-axis and the lines y=1, y=4, lying in the first quadrant

3) find the area between y=1/x^2, the y axis and the lones y=1, y=2. LEave the answer in surd form

if u can answer tthese, can u show the working out

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
For all of them, you need to rewrite the equation in terms of y, i.e:

1) y=1/4x2, therefore x = 1/2√y. Now, it's exactly the same as integrating over the x-axis - F(b) - F(a). Integrate from y = 0 to y = 1 (the first quadrant is the top right hand side of your cartesian plane, up and right from the origin).

2) y=4x2, therefore x = √y/2. Integrate from y=1 to y=4.

3) y=1/x2, therefore x = 1/√y. Integrate from y=1 to y=2.

I_F

red802

HSC
N/A
sry about this, i still got problems trying to solve the equations, can u give us a little bit more help

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
red802 said:
sry about this, i still got problems trying to solve the equations, can u give us a little bit more help
u need to rewrite the equation so that u have ur function in terms of y's, not x's. so, u need to do a bit of algebraic rearranging. get x as the subject

so for 1, we have y=1/4x2 --> first times both sides by 4

so, we get 4y = x2, then we square root both sides to get the equation with x as the subject ==> x = 2y1/2

so, u have ur area = integral from y=0 to y=1 OF x = 2y1/2 dx

the 1st quadrant refers to the top right hand "quarter" of the xy plane, also known as the cartesian plane. 2nd quadrant is top left hand side, 3rd is bottom left hand side, 4th is bottom right hand side. SO, numbering 1 --> 4 goes anti-clockwise around the cartesian plane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)