• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

programming tutoring? (1 Viewer)

danchurchill

HSC
anyone tutored programming before. doing my SDD exam 2moz for HSC and ive done certificateIII in IT at TAFE and im very good at visual basic 6 programming>
just wondering if anyone has done tutoring in this area before (or is interested in BEING tutored.) and what your thoughts are.
ive got 3 months free after my exams and i want to maybe see if i can tutor some people on programming.

-thanks

danchurchill

HSC
i dont publically distribute my programs but here is a list of things ive made.

-functioning address book with username/password encryption.
-lotto game
-ping pong
-AI monitoring program (submitted for major work 4 the HSC and got 92% i think)
-bouncing balls on the screen with physics
-base converter program
-sorting program using bubble/insertion/selection and enhanced bubble
-searching program using binary/linear
-movie database program
-encryption/decryption algorithms
-deal or no deal (TV show rip off)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You dont have to distribute the actual programs to show if they're good...I mean i made a ping pong game in year 11 in VB6 and i knew pretty much shit all about it (and to this day i still know very little, but i still use it when playing with databases and stuff). Just like tutoring in any other area, people would like to see if you know your stuff, simply saying you do and making a vague list of things you've done wouldn't satisfy me personally. It's just like me saying 'I'm good at maths, here are some things i've done: - integration - differentiation etc. etc.'

Effectively, what im trying to say above is how deep is your knowledge? What have you got to offer in terms of tutoring? How exactly will you go about tutoring it? (teaching a programming language isnt exactly the easiest thing to do

danchurchill

HSC
ive taught 2 of my friends visualbasic6 and they are quite good at it now. and i am good at explaining things to people and good communication skills.
if i find that there IS an interest in tutoring vb6 then i will make up a schedule of things to teach and order etc, which i already have in my head.

in terms of what i could teach? basically able to get someone to the point where they can:
understand different data types
manipulate numbers and string
manipulate arrays (1d,2d,3d)
use 'for..next' 'do while.' and 'if then else' statements.
error handling
use sub-procedures and functions
use recurring functions
draw objects on the screen
handle files (images and text files)
handle databases (ms access)
basic internet functions (accessing and downloading information through vb)
use modules to store functions and sub-routines
plan complex programs with pseudocode,flowcharts and other planning tools.

etc.
basically up to a year 12 level of programming and a fair amount beyond it because programming isnt concentrated on as much in the SDD course.

NB: i assumed by giving you a short-list of things ive created you would get a 'general' idea of my knowledge. the AI for example was the most complex project ive done and involves several modules, class module, forms, and a few thousand lines of code. no controls are on the screen as it's all being draw through the code.

Last edited:

danchurchill

HSC
how much should i charge per hour for the lessons?
got a few people interested.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You should be paying them for the shitty programming habits inherent in VB that you're forcing onto them.

danchurchill

HSC
withoutaface said:
You should be paying them for the shitty programming habits inherent in VB that you're forcing onto them.
can you go away? seriously. that post is as non-constructive as your first one.
if someone wishes to learn vb then who are you to say any different.
fyi vb is a good language to be introduced to for programming. im not going to get into an arguement over that, create a new thread for that and GO AWAY, or make a constructive contribution to the thread and question i asked.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
danchurchill said:
can you go away? seriously. that post is as non-constructive as your first one.
if someone wishes to learn vb then who are you to say any different.
fyi vb is a good language to be introduced to for programming. im not going to get into an arguement over that, create a new thread for that and GO AWAY, or make a constructive contribution to the thread and question i asked.
If by that you mean "it's a language that introduces very rudimentary concepts but has no real world application", I'd agree with you, but the learning curve for a real language like C isn't excessive, and there's no reason why you need to rush to databases, GUIs and the like at the expense of properly learning the underlying concepts.
You learn VB and you end up having to learn another language later anyway, and it becomes harder due to bad habits you've inherited, so I don't know why you'd bother.

danchurchill

HSC
what they teaching schools in 2007?
i think they're switching over to vb.net from vb6? true?

sunny

meh.
HSC
withoutaface said:
If by that you mean "it's a language that introduces very rudimentary concepts but has no real world application"
VB6 and down don't enforce good programming practices when you compare it to more structured languages like C and Java, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any real world applications. I've worked more than once where a client specifically requested something be written in VB. With the amount of change requests they sent every month it would have been hell in any other language.

Other times I've written a prototype in VB just because its easier to make a electronic mockup than other languages. In the real world, a client usually wouldn't care about what language its written in or how its done, as long as it can be done as quickly and cheaply as possible. You can imagine while we're trying to figure out what libraries to #include in plain C, then what arguments to pass gcc and resolving linking errors, the entire project could already be finished and deployed. (and the client paying their $$)

withoutaface said:
but the learning curve for a real language like C isn't excessive
For a year 12 student who has no programming or computing experience the learning curve is big. The hardest content in the SDD course is probably sorting algorithms - a lot of students have trouble understanding the algorithms themselves, let alone learning C at the same time just to code it. SDD is there to focus on the content of the course, not to teach them how to write code.

withoutaface said:
and there's no reason why you need to rush to databases, GUIs and the like at the expense of properly learning the underlying concepts.
In that case, why rush to C? We should do this at the gate level and make the students learn assembly and VHDL so they can write their own clock, registers, memory, CLA adder, then their own ALU, branch prediction unit, then their own pipeline to finish off their own multicycle CPU with a custom instruction set. I mean if they go straight to C and the like, it would be at the expense of properly learning the underlying concepts.

withoutaface said:
You learn VB and you end up having to learn another language later anyway, and it becomes harder due to bad habits you've inherited, so I don't know why you'd bother.
If taught properly, VB can be used with "proper" programming techniques. VB6 can be used as an almost-fully OO language, but few do because of, like you say, bad habits. Its true though, very programmers would know only just VB since they learn something else - then again, very few real world programmers are so narrow minded that thinking knowing C would mean the client actually cares how awesome the programmer thinks they are compared to VB programmers.

This is not about defending VB, it has its weaknesses, but it has its strengths as well - just like every other programming language. Its about picking the right tool for the job, and for the SDD course, VB fits the bill pretty well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)