Projectile motion HELP (1 Viewer)

PandA_

HSC
When doing calculations with projectile motion, when it asks for e.g. maximum height at a certain time? what formula do i use
can some1 plz explain how certain times fall into the projectile motion formulas

PandA_

HSC
my teacher taught us without 's'
should i start using s?
what is the way to find wat time it wil reach this height without use 's'

k02033

HSC
To get the time needed to reach maximum height, you use this simple logic :

if your vertical velocity is higher than zero at a certain point, then you are still moving up, so that point is not max height.

if your vertical velocity is lower than zero at a certain point, then you have already fallen from the max height.

so you are only at the maximum height when your vertical velocity is zero.

Vy=Uy+at

set Vy=0

so at=-Uy

t=-Uy/a

PandA_

HSC
tyvm, just a quik question k02030 when u say lower then 0, is that becuz -9.8? not actually velocity is negative?

k02033

HSC

when i say that Vy is negative, its actually bias. when we do projectiles, we usually use the coordinates in the 1st diagram. since the vertical velocity is pointing in the -ve y axis direction in that second half of the flight, we say that vertical velocity is negative in direction. and since gravitational attraction is always pointing towards -ve y axis, we say that the acceleration has a magnitude of 9.8, but we say its -9.8, we added to minus to signify direction relative to our axis. This notation is arbitary, notice in my 2nd diagram(look at the y axis) the gravitational acceration relative to that axis is just 9.8 not -9.8

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)