• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

P's get the degrees (1 Viewer)

superbird

HSC
(i.e all you need to do is pass all your subjects to get the degree)

Just wondering how true this statement is. Is their any incentive to obtaining a Distinction or Credit average?
Upon completion of the degree and you obtained a Credit average, will it say "Credit average" on the actual document?
Otherwise, is there any point in obtaining Credits, Distinctions etc at Uni?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
It will say B (your course) "with Distinction" if u got D aver in WAM "with Credit" if u got C aver in WAM. if u get pass it just states the course u grad in.

doe

HSC
N/A
i think what gets printed on the degree varies from uni to uni.

your employers at your first job will look at your marks, but thats probably it. however, keep in mind you will be competing with thousands of other graduates. if you have striaght p's you will not have much luck getting interviews.

oh and sometimes it has bearing on what subjects you can do and/or if you will be able to do honours.

in general though, yes, p's do get degrees.

doingHSC

HSC
doe said:
i think what gets printed on the degree varies from uni to uni.

your employers at your first job will look at your marks, but thats probably it. however, keep in mind you will be competing with thousands of other graduates. if you have striaght p's you will not have much luck getting interviews.

oh and sometimes it has bearing on what subjects you can do and/or if you will be able to do honours.

in general though, yes, p's do get degrees.
are the final marks/grades you get an average of last years marks only or throughout the whole years you've been at uni?

suz

HSC
like natstar said if u r gonna be payin all that money u mite as well at least aim for a credit average
at least that is what i am gonna try to do...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You are eligible for the conferral of a degree with a pass average, even if all you ever get is 50 passes with a few 47-49 conceded passes sprinkled throughout.

However, it's best to keep in mind that the first job is ALWAYS the hardest to get into, because the majority of graduates are virtually unqualified and distinguishable ONLY by their academic performance.

Thus, if you don't mind working at Délifrance instead of KPMG, then be my guest and get passes. :p

doe

HSC
N/A
i dunno man, discount pastries could be very tempting ... :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
alien said:
we're just lucky we don't have GPAs like in the US
that's a funny comment

because we do

if you can do better than Ps why not do better? what a waste if you don't. there might be a time when Ds are better for you, maybe you'll get a scholarship with them, maybe you'll be considered first for an interview. i hate it when people say 'i could have got __ but i __ (didn't study)" - don't become someone like that, get the best you can

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
well, if you want a harder time finding a job...

My sister (but she's a study freak) was top of her class the whole 3 yrs and in the 2nd semester of 1st year she was asked to do honors. And it was weird how the letters from the uni went from "dear student" to "dear Erica" - what I'm trying to say is, if you just want the paper, then go ahead and aim for just a pass, but if you want to be considered first preference in jobs/careers, I highly suggest you motivate your butt to work b/c the lecturers can be very influential ppl in high places.

My sis now works for the Courier Mail (currently doing the TV stuff....'Seven Days?") and hasnt seen unemployment once since graduating from uni at the top of her class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)