• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

PSYC1002 Attentional Capture Assignment (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Who did theirs on attentional capture? I wish summer school would give us more information but it seems they're launching us straight into it with little advice and/or help. I didn't do psyc1001 either so just wanted some basic direction. I have 2 learning assignments but none for this particular experiment (the one based on Folk et al's top-down processes thingo with the use of colours and shapes.

A

adamsaclown

sorry, i didn't do the attentional capture experiment, but wow, you've got 2 learning assignments?

weird, we didn't get any assignments (apart from the report)

who are the lecturers you've got at summer school?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i mean i've got yours and a mate of mine's.
the learning and motivation lecturer is named Ms Melissa Baysari. This is the only one that we've had.
Emotion will be Martin Daly
Mental Abilitis (sic, it's misspelled) by David Bowman
Cognitive Processes Danielle Karazinov
Human Development Rebecca Sng
Perception: tamara watson

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I don't like Martin. He's too jumpy and whilst his content is funny, the delivery of it just isn't. Just from the overheads I'd be thinking that he's hilllllarious. However, when he speaks it, it lacks charisma. Had him today. Also, he doesn't seem to use any practical examples of experiments etc on emotion (rather than an animal 'ahh damn forgot the term for it, where you're aware of other's feelings etc. i was just talking about it 1/2 hour ago, now it slipped my mind' video.) His lecture notes are too dense, as well and he doesn't say much more than them.

Melissa Baysari was great because she had very brief lecture notes and used lots of her experiments on rats as examples.

Well, they explained our experiment much better today. Still kind of difficult to interpret, though.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
I don't like Martin. He's too jumpy and whilst his content is funny, the delivery of it just isn't. Just from the overheads I'd be thinking that he's hilllllarious. However, when he speaks it, it lacks charisma. Had him today. Also, he doesn't seem to use any practical examples of experiments etc on emotion (rather than an animal 'ahh damn forgot the term for it, where you're aware of other's feelings etc. i was just talking about it 1/2 hour ago, now it slipped my mind' video.) His lecture notes are too dense, as well and he doesn't say much more than them.

Melissa Baysari was great because she had very brief lecture notes and used lots of her experiments on rats as examples.

Well, they explained our experiment much better today. Still kind of difficult to interpret, though.
Theory of Mind

A

adamsaclown

stazi said:

sure his lecturing isn't too great because he's relatively new at it (his first lectures were the 3 he did at the end of semester two). He does seem a bit shy too. but he has some brilliant ideas and if they've got a msgboard up on WebCT, well, his posts are pretty cool to read. He seems very eccentric and passionate about what he does. He's a very ambitious guy I think too, intellectually, his PhD thesis isn't about some random rotation of a block in your head or anything - he is trying instead to integrate the whole field of psychology into a new, all-encompassing field. I think he's going to be someone major one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, I saw that straight away. He just goes "right, here's the problem with psychology". It was great. Unfortunatelly the message board on webct isn't very happening :(

alexander morel

HSC
attention capture ass

Hi
What is it that you need help with on attention capture? My mother is doing psychology at Usyd and recieved a HD on Att Capt last year.
Cheers Alex

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The emotional lecturer was amazing yesterday. I really enjoyed his lecture this time. Hope I have him again in the future.

Alex, thanks for that. I've actually gotten more info now about what is needed from us, however, I am very lost about results and statistical-related sections (not having done psyc1001 it's hard to get into the results and methodology etc parts).
It would be great if she could email me her assignment or the results/methodology sections from it. I understand if she doesn't want to do this, but I can assure her that I will not plagerise as morally I am 100% opposed to it.
I'm also aiming for a high HD (90+), so any tips would be great :)

My email is: stasm@ozemail.com.au

Regards,

Stas.

alexander morel

HSC
attention capture

Have send an email to you please, let me know if you have received it or require any more help. Quite a heavy assgn. for summer psyc. good luck. Please only use my assng. as a guide.
Cheers Kathy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Mental Abilitis (sic, it's misspelled) by David Bowman

^ excellent lecturer as he's a top bloke. However he had way too many slides and notes. the second 1/2 of each lecture he'd just skim through them and not explain anything as he'd run out of time.

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
Yeah, mental abilities is like that - heaps dense with a lot of stuff to cover

Anyway if the lecturers are crap its cos they are mostly PhD students and dont have much experience lecturing so give them some leeway ;)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the new lecturer for cognitive processes is great :D heaps of practical experiments with us as well

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nope, Cognitive Processes Danielle Karazinov

but shes using many of caleb's attention examples :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)