psychology subjects (1 Viewer)

R0s3

HSC
heyyyy wat subjects do i need for psychology... im doing 2 unit maths, adv. english, modern and ancient history, business, Armenian, Catholic Studies.. my friends studying psych. in uni now.. and she told me to do either biology, or society and culture

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
R0s3 said:
heyyyy wat subjects do i need for psychology... im doing 2 unit maths, adv. english, modern and ancient history, business, Armenian, Catholic Studies.. my friends studying psych. in uni now.. and she told me to do either biology, or society and culture
I agree, I did welfare @ TAFE last yr which covered some psych. Legal studies wouldnt hurt either as u'll cover some law.

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
R0s3 said:
I'd say Mathematics is necessary. Science is a plus.
Bonuses include:
pdhpe
catholic/religion
social science
society and culture

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
well, at newcastle uni there's no required courses for psych - in fact, you'll find most uni's have moved away from having required subjects. recommeded, however, is maths (lowest 2U) since a lot of psych studies involve statistics. your HSC courses are not going to helpyou with psych, just pick what you like and will do best at and aim at getting the highest UAI you can so you can guarantee you'll get a place in the course you want.

Chiisora

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I've read for psychology that the assumed knowledge is maths extension!? And the sciences are a bonus.

I'm not doing maths. BUT I'm doing physics which is really maths-ish, so I'm just going to do my best and hope for the best.

uh_huh2

HSC
I would strongly recomment Biology. Even if you dont do it for the HSC, its a good idea to read through the summaries as it will give u an understanding of how Neurons and how the body works.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Chiisora said:
I've read for psychology that the assumed knowledge is maths extension!? And the sciences are a bonus.

I'm not doing maths. BUT I'm doing physics which is really maths-ish, so I'm just going to do my best and hope for the best.
well, at UNCLE at least the maths they say they assume you know is only for stat subjects (a lot of psych is statistics, bleh) - which is boring as hell, but not particularly difficult. i know people who only just scraped a pass in 2U and ext 1 maths and are doing fine (D and HD average) in 1st and 2nd year psych

the truth is, pretty much none of what you do in the HSC is applicable for any uni course - you can take some skills from high school to tertiary study, but basically no knowledge. it's a whole new world!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)