Q&Q Heisenberg and Pauli (1 Viewer)

shadowRRL

HSC
* Assess the contribution made by Heisenberg and Pauli to the development of atomic theory.

Can someone help me with this one....
I always get stuck on ASSESS things

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Heisenberg:
-introduced uncertainty principle (babble about this) i.e ~x.~p>= h/2pi, where~ is delta.
Assess: scientists had now a greater understanding of the quantum theory of the atom.

Pauli:
-introduced Pauli exclusion principle- no 2 electrons in an atom can have the same set of four quantum numbers. (babble on)
Assess: it finally explained the arrangement of elements in Mendeleev's periodic table- i.e. by explaining how electrons are 'filled' in the atom and etc.

Final assess: Both furthered the quantum mechanical model of the atom

There's quite good info (v detailed though) in Physics Context2

This dp is actually quite hard to assess (there are obvious pros but what r the cons?) so my answer isnt complete either

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Assess doesnt have to have pros and cons, thats more like discuss. Assess is to make a judgement of result, quality, value and outcome. so for this point talk about their significance in contribution to the atomic model, what they lead to etc etc

Heisenberg
developed a completely mathematical model of quantum mechanics (as opposed 2 bohrs half classical/quantum model)
from this he derived his uncertainty principle
talk about how both of these have huge significance in quantum phys, esp at the atomic level.... the quantum mechanic model is the 1 in use today, and huge amounts of new discoveries are all based around the quantum mechanics

pauli - the exclusion principle, explained bohrs prediction of electrons per shell, this is an important principle in many other areas of work in phys and chem today.
derived balmer eqn, validating it in another way
provided substance to schrodingers wave mechanics
first to propose the neutrino, talk about the impact of the existence of neutrino

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)