Q&Q- Stationary States (1 Viewer)

Mathematician

I think these certain orbital states are stationary because if they we're to radiate and lose only a bit of energy which is associated with the acceleration of the circular obit then they wouldnt be able to spiral down and go to a lower energy state, because the loss of energy associated with the 'usual' acceleration of the electron in the orbit would not be enough to take them to the next discrete orbital and energy level but would take them to one between these two discrete energy levels, but these orbital levels dont exist so they wont at all move from its original orbit without any external energy disturbances.

Bohrs model or planck dont explain why these orbital levels dont exist (only theory) and hence do not completly account for these stationary states. They tried to account for those states in the ways i just reasoned while debroglie explained it(refrence to standing waves) differently without any refrence to those non allowed obital levels, so conversely he kinda proved that there are 'non allowed orbital levels'.

IS THAT RIGHT OR ALL BULLSHIT I JUST MADE UP?

Also so if electrons of the atom we're some how increased so much in angular speed, so that there was enough acceleration for enough radiation to be emitted, would the electrons be able to move to other allowed levels without heat or PD?
or is that what heat and PD do. Do they transfer heat energy or other energy in the form of kinetic energy so it radiates enough energy by acceleration?

Physics makes me think too much :D and :(

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
If I am understanding your very long sentence correctly then you have got it right.

Fort part 2 how would like increase the angular vel, most likely it IS through heat or PD ..

Mathematician

haha - im not telling u.

btw for bohr's models limitations , when they say:
"couldnt explain the relative intensities of spectral lines"

Do they mean the intensity of different coloured wavelengths is different or the intensity on the spectroscope or spectrometer is different like as in some spectral lines repeat more?????[intensity is how much of something per unit area right?]

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
the first one. take the balmer series for example, the red line is of greater intenstity than the blue/violet spectral lines. this is caused by the greater probability of electron moving between certain levels than others. however bohr wasnt able 2 explain this.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
well the probability of electron transitions was introduced, but Bohr couldn't justify the introduction of quantum rules for the definition of orbits and levels.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
quanta to quarks, dot points(1 in 2nd colum 1 in 3rd column in section 1.... i think) regarding defficiency of bohrs model.

Bannanafish

HSC
i think your explanation for stationary states is a bit sus

bohr did not give any explanation
debroglie lent it to stability

Mathematician

I know it is lol.

I figured it out properly now.

But i was also trying to make an interesting point in there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)