Q25) Developer's View of the Hardware (1 Viewer)

Sober

HSC
Just wondering how other people's answers compared to mine:

(a)(i) 2310 = 000101112
Two's compliment = 11101001

(ii) I wasn't quite sure, I said something like the negative numbers were made positive before the division (shifts and subtracts) then if the numerator was negative XOR the denominator was negative the result is made negative.

(iii) Discussed positive integer, sign and modulus, one and two's compliment, ASCII character, array of booleans, then stated that it could be anything.

(b) (i) For the truth table, every combination of A,B and C sent false to the security lights so it was a pointless circuit.

(ii)

(c)(i) mouse.

(ii)

(iii) header and trailer

(iv) Discussed that more bits make the transmission take longer, only significantly if the chip is extremely complicated. 8 bits limits the precision to 256x256 coordinates which might limit the availible complexity of the chip. (somehow I took 2 pages to say all that).

Last edited:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Thats almost exactly what I had.

Although I think you had the division question wrong.

The idea for division is that computers do every operation by addition, so in division the shift and subtract is performed by "shift, take two's complement, add".

For the circuit design one I had the same as you except I used XOR since they emphasised "EITHER" this OR this but I think it was fairly ambiguous that bit, so they'll probably accept both at marking. I'm still not sure which they really meant.

What did you have for the "two other data structures" you had to discuss in the option? Was it just the plain old header and trailer?

Last edited:

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
All that sounds almost exactly the same as what I wrote.

EDIT: yeah, like he ^ said.

I did that, what drewgcn said, for the division one too.

I just put header and trailer for iii.

Last edited:

Sober

HSC
The idea for division is that computers do every operation by addition, so in division the shift and subtract is performed by "shift, take two's complement, add".
That's true, hope they aren't looking for that level of specificity.

For the circuit design one I had the same as you except I used XOR as they emphasised "EITHER" this OR this but I think it was fairly ambiguous that bit, so they'll probably accept both at marking.
The "either" was not capitolised. I'm sure they would have said "but not both" if they were after XOR.

Mouse? Couldn't you use something else?
In the question it says: "..alows the user to draw the basic outline of the circuit using a mouse.".

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I was worried about that Mouse one... It sounded TOO easy.

However, for the plotting of the (x,y) Robotic thingo... I had the (0,0) coordinate in the top left because if you think about it, pixels on any resolution/montior and in general computing terms are counted (0,0) from the top left and then go down until u get to the greatest values in the bottom right? As long as you labelled your axes then I doubt it'll matter :p

And for the division using 2s compliment I explained how the addition was necessary to replace any subtraction functions, with any overflow ignored.. and made up a long division of binary question and did the first few steps to give an example of how the 2s compliment worked during the division.

Yeh, I also talked bout header/trailer for the second last one.
The last one I just rambled about how greater bits would lead to slower transmission times and less possibilities of x/y due to lower number of bits used to represent their location meant that the number of memory locations u could use would be decreased.

Sober

HSC
Oh yeah, I put down header and trailer, forgot to put that in my post.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
damn, got division wrong...and think of shorter bits=faster transmission speed:mad1:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Sober said:
The "either" was not capitolised. I'm sure they would have said "but not both" if they were after XOR.
Yeah thats true. They shouldn't have even put either then...OR still means OR.

dunno04

HSC
OMg..
almost the same as urs.
ALmost

BUt somehow i stuff up the datastream part.
:(

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah I didn't think to put A into a seperate input than B or C. I just connected it with B like the diagram before :mad:

I think it still worked, but it didn't matter whether B and C were both off, the circuit still worked lol...

dunno04

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Yeah I didn't think to put A into a seperate input than B or C. I just connected it with B like the diagram before :mad:

I think it still worked, but it didn't matter whether B and C were both off, the circuit still worked lol...
i use XOR, and AND
XOR with BC
AND connects with the output of BC and A.

and i think it works.
=D

simply__me

HSC
Yeah I got the same as you. Except your statement about the last question degrades my self esteem and hope for Band 6...

2 pages... o.o

dunno04

HSC
simply__me said:
Yeah I got the same as you. Except your statement about the last question degrades my self esteem and hope for Band 6...

2 pages... o.o
lol...
the last statement..
xD

yeh....mayb..but itz okay..
at least we have finishd it
=D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)