• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quadratic Functions (1 Viewer)

kbei

HSC
I just started this topic by myself, not coping very well, just need a few tips on how to solve the following questions (working out would be awesome :D):

a) A piece of wire 6 metres longis cut into 2 parts, one of which is used to form a square, and the other to form a rectangle whose length is 3 times its width. Find the lengths of the two parts if the sum of the areas is a minimum.

For the above question, it was really messy with fractions, and when i tried to use the quadratic formula, delta was negative, so i was stuck.

b) A large open area is to have a portion surrounded by a rectangular fence. This rectangle is then divided into 6 rectangles by one dividing fence parallel to its length, and 2 parallel to its breadth. If the total length of fencing available is 1200m, find the maximum area.

Thanks a lot, been asking heaps of questions lately

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
b) A large open area is to have a portion surrounded by a rectangular fence. This rectangle is then divided into 6 rectangles by one dividing fence parallel to its length, and 2 parallel to its breadth. If the total length of fencing available is 1200m, find the maximum area.

Thanks a lot, been asking heaps of questions lately

A=lxb

1200=3l+4b
l=400-4b/3

A=400b-4b^2/3
A'=400-8b/3
when A'=0 b=150m
u then test if thats max
l=200m
i think thats right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)