quanta to quarks dotpoint (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

* discuss the significance of the hydrogen spectrum in the development of bohr's model of the atom

i've just got no idea... i've read excel, macmillan, jacaranda and contexts but they don't seem to answer this dotpoint properly

inasero

Reborn
HSC
well the books describe four distince emission lines observable in the spectrum when observed with a spectrophotometer....these invariably helped bohr develop his model because he was looking for that extra 'something' to explain why electrons dont just fall into the nucleus from constant orbiting and theoretical emission of EMR....which was one BIG flaw of J.J.Thomson's atomic model...

so using the fact that the hydrogen, no matter what the source always emitted these four distince lines, he devised his postulates which were an improvisation of Thomsons model insofar as attempting to integrate the apparent quantum behaviour and explaining why energies are quantised....

in one of his postulates, bohr says this is experimental proof that electrons exist in states of well defined energies and that these are stable...when falling to higher or lowe states they emit energies at particular wavelengths.....as opposed to just any old wavelength as predicted by classical physics

pls send me feedback and tell me if this helps...ta :p

Jinglebell

HSC
we had this in an assessment, except we had to 'analyse' instead of 'discuss'. here's my answer:

When an element is heated or ionised, it emits visible light and radiation, which can be manipulated into its components using a spectroscope and prism. A pattern is created of coloured lines on a dark background. This pattern is known as the emission spectrum, and is elementally unique. Passing white light through cool gas, however, creates an absorption spectrum, so called because the gas absorbs the same frequencies it would emit if heated. An absorption spectrum creates a pattern of dark lines on a coloured background.
Between 1884 and 1886, Johann Balmer suggested a mathematical formula to fit each of the known wavelengths of hydrogens spectrum, = b(m2 / (m2 22) ), where b is a constant and m varies with each line in the spectrum. This formula covered the four lines created in the visible portion of the spectrum, known as the Balmer series. Johannes Rydberg later generalised Balmers formula.
Rutherfords atomic model did not agree with the observable spectra, and Bohr set out to rectify this with his atomic model. He therefore kept the basic structure of the Rutherford model, necessary to explain the alpha particle scattering experiments. From his basic hypotheses, Bohr derived a number of equations. One of these was Rydbergs equation. The ability to derive this from his atomic model showed that Bohrs ideas were feasible, as they successfully explained observable hydrogen emission spectra.
Thus, the hydrogen spectrum was the basis for the scientific validity of Bohrs model of the atom, and had a significant contribution to its development. It also played a role in the stimulus for the creation of the Bohr model, since Bohrs aim was to account for the discrepancies between Rutherfords model and the observed hydrogen spectrum.

this got me 8/10, i lost two marks for not talking about quantisation of energy for electrons to change energy levels.

hope that's in some way helpful...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)