• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Queries Blade Runner (1 Viewer)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Rite first of all, this thread for those doing Blade Runner, anyone else bugger of. Here i will post queries one at time, which i dont seem to understand or need some more clarification. Well here is the first one:

What is Deckard's dream supposed to mean? (He dreams of a unicorn running throgh in a background of bright lite) I know the symbol of unicorn is purity, but how can we use this? Any ideas/thoughts welcome.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
You could also expand on the connection between Deckard (existentialist, mechanist) and the unicorn (nature), as a representation of the distance between humanity and nature. Expand on how animals are rare, as the human race for wealth is seen to be of more importance then the relationship between humanity and nature.
Basically, there is a lot of controversy surrounding the unicorn scene and the unicorn as a motif throughout the movie, esp since the original had edited these scenes. I would, however, recommend you dwell on the visual aspects of the context and representation of dystopia as opposed to underlying motifs such as the unicorn. They are important to the movie, but not to the elective, In The Wild.

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
About Gaff

Yes Gaff does seem to know about Deckards "thoughts", he does his matchstick man with an erection. This later is related to the scene where Deckard is with Rachael where Deckard tries to convince that she is a replicant "you were playing doctors... you saw his.."

Also the fact that Deckard has photos as well reinforces that he is a replicant. Even is Deckard is a replicant what is Ridley Scott's trying to tell us?

Generally his messaage is on materilisation, and corportationism,.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
what about the scene where Deckard & Rachael are in D's apartment and Deckard's pushing Rach around asking her if she loves him, and to say that she wants him etc. also in the final scene where they go off together - 'do u trust me' etc i don't get it i've heard ideas that because they're both replicants, love isn't 'implanted' in their emotional responses and so its an emotional response they have to obtain themselves but they can't or something??? but then i says what about pris and roy? both replicants showing affection for each other...

malkin86

HSC
Some people reckon that he's telling her to say those things "I want you", "Touch me" etc. "for her own good". Note the shadows, black and white, reminicent of a cage. <- significant!! Later, he asks her questions, "Do you trust me?" - he sees her more as his equal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)