Question 16 c (ii) 2012 paper (1 Viewer)

mac1996

HSC
Hey guys
Can someone please explain how to do the very last question of the 2012 paper, which is Question 16 c(ii). Sorry I cant show you the question because im on my phone.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
If then we substitute part (i) in for both and solve:

#

Do you need help with part (iii) and (iv)?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm going to assume you do since you said the last question:

iii) We are given

Now since 'n' and 'k' are integers, then the LHS is greater than the RHS by atleast 1. Hence we can get rid of the on the LHS and the strict inequality will still hold:

(note that and so the RHS>0 and we can take the square root without any worries). #

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I'm certain that almost every HSC student last year just looked at that question and just thought to themselves, fuck that.

I know I did

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Hey guys
Can someone please explain how to do the very last question of the 2012 paper, which is Question 16 c(ii). Sorry I cant show you the question because im on my phone.

From the previous question, remember our quadratic equation.

The solutions to this equation are the y-coordinates of the intersection of the parabola and circle. But it is evident that at both intersections they have the same y-coordinate, and hence discriminant is zero (this is how you do the first part).

It is asking us to prove a restriction that c must adhere to, in order to satisfy 'the circle touches the parabola at exactly two points'.
These intersection points must be positive, our solutions to the quadratic equation must be greater than zero, so if we solve the quadratic in y.

This solution must be greater than zero.

But that isn't quite the answer yet, we need to examine what happens when c=1/2, we see that if this is the case, then y=0. But this can't be the case, because then the intersection is at the origin only, which doesn't satisfy the condition in the question 'touches the parabola at exactly 2 points'. So we must discount c=1/2

Hence c > 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)