• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about 100 level philosophy subjects (1 Viewer)

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
I've been accepted for non award at macquarie, and I've chosen statistics, philosophy, morality and society, formal logic and anthropology drugs across cultures.

Now I really wanted to do critical thinking in second semester but it was only offered in the first, and I'm thinking if I should change either philosophy morality and society or drugs across cultures to critical thinking because its something that I really wanna do.

I'm just wondering if is a good idea to do 3 philosophy subjects, if they are easy or hard, and if formal logic and critical thinking have alot of common concepts? Would it be a little wasteful to do both?

All input appreciated!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
kaspa_lee said:
I've been accepted for non award at macquarie, and I've chosen statistics, philosophy, morality and society, formal logic and anthropology drugs across cultures.

Now I really wanted to do critical thinking in second semester but it was only offered in the first, and I'm thinking if I should change either philosophy morality and society or drugs across cultures to critical thinking because its something that I really wanna do.

I'm just wondering if is a good idea to do 3 philosophy subjects, if they are easy or hard, and if formal logic and critical thinking have alot of common concepts? Would it be a little wasteful to do both?

All input appreciated!

Hi Kaspa.

I did 3 philosophy subjects in my first year (phil131, phil137 and phil134) and found them very enjoyable, very easy, and not much work at all. But it is important to say that my friend did it and found that he hated it and actually found it hard, so it really depends on what you like. Personally i think that, if you did maths and/or you like how things sort of fit together, then you will like formal logic. Logic is very weird at first, it is sort of a mix of maths and english.

To answer your question, you will find several similar concepts in both critical thinking and formal logic, and i found that doing critical thinking gave me a slight advantage in logic. Is it wasteful to do both? Well, you are likely to never use the langauge of formal logic (sort of like how you are likely to never use calculus in your life), yet i found it an interesting language. You are more likely to find critical thinking to be of more practical value, and i recommend that if you want something useful, then you should do critical thinking over formal logic (though you could do both!). I found critical thinking was actually very useful in how i think generally about issues and plan arguments, particualrly in psychology.

But again, it really depends. You may hate it!

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, if logic is your thing, take 137/134. If you enjoy a sampler of Morality/Ethics take 132. If you enjoy Metaphysics take 131.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
No philosophy for me this year i dont think. I have a love/hate relationship with phil... sure will miss it :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha yeah same :( I was so close to overloading and doing metaphysics this year, but im trying to control myself haha

kaspa_lee

HSC
N/A
Yeh I wanna do the subject that will be a little more practical and applicable to real life situations relating to arguments and reasoning, I have the same idea as you cyan_pheonix, I want to do BA - Psych when I finish, so I might consider dropping PHIL132 and changing to 137. Or maybe ANTH106. Ergh I duno!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
137 would be best suited for you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)