Question about distributions between students (1 Viewer)

zlatanstylez

HSC
Well i called up the Boardofstudies once upon at time =P, and one person told me that through the use of the gaps between each student, and the ranks from internal assessments, they moderate ur marks.

Question being:

When they say maintain the gapping (distribution), does it mean the actual amount of marks between each student is actually preserved?

Please explain?

Thank you =]

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Well I'll explain from the start

In your school everyone does assessment tasks, and you get your marks and ranks from school assessments. In these, the ranks are more important than the marks.

In the external HSC exam, everyone gets an exam mark. Someone gets a highest mark in your school in the HSC exam.

So say you get 95 in your General Maths external HSC exam, and that's the highest mark of anyone in your year, in the HSC.

Then whoever ranked first in your school assessment tasks (doesn't have to be you) gets that 95 as their school assessment mark. (everyone gets their own external HSC exam mark).

Then say whoever was ranked 2nd in your school assessment tasks had a mark that was 5% lower than whoever was ranked first. Then that person gets 90.25 as their school assessment mark, so that it's 5% lower than whoever came first.

The person who came first may have had 97 as their total mark for all the school assessment tasks, but they get 95 for their school assessment mark because it was the top HSC Exam mark in your grade. Then everyone else gets a school assessment mark based on their rank and the gaps (like the 5% example) between their internal marks.

Your final HSC mark is 50% the moderated Assessment mark and 50% your own external HSC Exam mark.

zlatanstylez

HSC
Ahk, but what if the person coming last was sent an internal assessment of 45, but then gets 70 externally which is still the last ranked mark, doesnt that them make the distribution between students smaller?

Thanks =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)