• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about SAM (1 Viewer)

Ben-d0g

I was just playing around with my marks on it, and I noticed something that whoever made SAM might want to change.

I am a strange person who accelerated 2 unit maths in year 11, and am now doing extension 1 and 2 in year 12. When i put in the mark i get this year, and my imagined marks for the ones next year, if they are high enough it will count 6 units (which is impossible). I could screw up 4 unit next year so the 2 unit may count (i think..), so i would like to put it into my calculations.

Is there any way of fixing it so it will count the right number of units of maths even if you did all three courses?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Just erase either Mathematics or Maths Extension 2 from the list.
When you do 4U, you can only count 2U of Ext 1 and 2U of Ext 2 = 4U in total
However, if you choose to do 3U you count 2U of Mathematics and 1U of Ext 1 = 3U in total

.'. Just go to "Edit Profile" in SAM and erase Mathematics (if you're doing Ext 2)

SAM stuffs up if you input marks for 2U, Ext 1 and Ext 2 because you can't do that in the HSC anyway. If you want to compare marks between doing 2U and Ext 2, then you'll have to just change your subjects in "Edit Profile".

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'll add a constraint in the next version such that a maximum of four units of mathematics can contribute.

d_elmo

HSC
ben_dog youre not that strange, if youre doing the mathematics HSC in year 11 like i did, and then you do ext 2 in year 12, your mathematics mark will not contribute at all to your UAI.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
d_elmo said:
ben_dog youre not that strange, if youre doing the mathematics HSC in year 11 like i did, and then you do ext 2 in year 12, your mathematics mark will not contribute at all to your UAI.
Ditto.
People who accelerate aren't strange...

But I like this: "ben_dog youre not that strange" :p

sladehk

le random
HSC
a lot of people commonly accelerate but only for subjects like SDD and IPT

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sladehk said:
a lot of people commonly accelerate but only for subjects like SDD and IPT
I would argue to the contrary i.e. that the majority of students who accelerate a subject do so in maths. Most of the accelerants I've encountered have studied maths a year or two ahead, with maybe one or two doing SDD and/or IPT.

sladehk

le random
HSC
i only know like 3 ppl who accelerate maths but like 50 ppl who accelerate sdd, ipt or ag

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sladehk said:
i only know like 3 ppl who accelerate maths but like 50 ppl who accelerate sdd, ipt or ag
Hmm...is that at your school alone?
I'd be inclined to say that more people accelerate maths, but I could be wrong - personally, I know of 8 others in my grade who accelerated maths. But maths is the only subject we accelerate atm.

sladehk

le random
HSC
wouldn't that be hard doing maths accelerated? i mean it's difficult as it is rite now!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sladehk said:
wouldn't that be hard doing maths accelerated? i mean it's difficult as it is rite now!
Yea it's hard if you accelerate Ext 2 maths, accelerating Ext 1 is moderately difficult and accelerating 2U on its own probably isn't too bad...
Accelerating subjects like IPT, Business etc. are easier coz they really only require memorisation techniques - but I feel sorry for those people who accelerate Ext 2 english...I'd choose to accelerate Ext 2 maths any day over accelerating Ext 2 english :p
(but that's probably coz I don't like english that much)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)