Question about studying ahead in Maths (1 Viewer)

dracster

HSC
Say your class just started the topic Integrals or something and like you somehow finished the whole topic in that textbook. What should you do afterwards whilst everyone is still doing the first exercise of that topic? Like would it be advisable to study other topics ahead, or just continue on the same topic but find harder questions to do for variety?

I'm also curious how other schools learn in their maths class feel free to inform me about it :)
My teacher just teaches the content and then we do the exercise relating to that content.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Our school essentially did the same thing, what I like to do in your instance is actually not to go ahead for more topics, but rather to find other textbooks/exercise books and try to attempt questions of increasing difficulty and expose myself to more problems so I can start to deduce the pattern within the questions and from the different types of questions, I can gain a better understanding of how to approach the difficult problems in the exam. It is not always useful to study many topics in advance since these topics may not be in your end of term exams. Ask your teacher what topics are in the next assessment task and studying strategically with a focus on those topics that you know will be examined. Best wishes for you to ace your studies this year:)

tashe

HSC
N/A
Good advice Strawberrye. I too would also not recommend in studying ahead.

Use this time to revise (you're in a good position, it'll definitely put you at an advantage when it's exam time if you use it wisely).

1. Revising while your mind is still familiar with the topic is the way to go. After this, it'll make it easier to revise for trials. I would do exams papers, if you are tried of the tedious questions from textbooks. Try the trial papers from Spiralflex or even, buy a HSC Past Paper book.

It's not a race to see who can finish all the topics the faster. Take your time, perfect each topic. That's the way to go.

2. Regarding to the question about how school teaches, that's basically how my teacher went through it as well. In fact, all my maths teacher used that approach.

dracster

HSC
I felt like that choice was the best to go with too :)

Glad to know that this approach was a common teaching method for maths!

Thank you both for replying strawberrye and tashe :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)