• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question in relation to uni preference. (1 Viewer)

decoil

HSC
Hey guys, first off sorry if this is in the wrong section. Im currently doing the HSC year now, and with uni applications coming up, preferences need to be sent in soon.

My current UAI aim is 85 and I hope to do something at uni in the field of commerce/economics/business, etc. All of these courses in sydney require 91+ UAI, which for me is an unrealistic goal.
My question is - Would it be a better option to prioritise a course which is relevant at macquarie uni (B economics), and be accepted with a UAI of 83 -then transfering after the first year hopefully to something closer. Or would it be a better option to apply at UNSW for an arts course which requires 78, and similarly transfer after a year (B economics or whatever its called in UNSW)?

Obviously transferring is dependent on how one performs, but im more worried about that when the time comes :p

Direct course = Long travel times.
Arts = Short travel times.
This may be more dependant on personal opinion,
Thanks in advance :)

*Baby-K*

HSC
Hey,
I think it depends on which uni do you want to go to more? If you want to go to MQ to do the course you want, then put that as your preference but if you want to go to UNSW then obviously prioritise it in your preference. If you want to go to USYD but apply and get accepted into MQ I think it's generally harder to transfer to a different uni because of the difference in UAIs between MQ and other unis.
Why don't you include the actual course you want to do first? Who knows you might get 91 :)

decoil

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Hey,
I think it depends on which uni do you want to go to more? If you want to go to MQ to do the course you want, then put that as your preference but if you want to go to UNSW then obviously prioritise it in your preference. If you want to go to USYD but apply and get accepted into MQ I think it's generally harder to transfer to a different uni because of the difference in UAIs between MQ and other unis.
Why don't you include the actual course you want to do first? Who knows you might get 91 :)
Yes, ill definetly be putting one of the 91 courses as the first option - although I highly doubt my externals can pull me up. But yeah, I understand what you are saying about transfering out of MQ. At the moment its a weigh up between bad uni, good course vs good uni, bad course. Thanks for your quick reply :)

Edit - When I say bad uni, I am talking about the travel and convenience of my location.

*Baby-K*

HSC
Well, UNSW has an open day this Saturday the 6th and MQ has one next Saturday the 13th why don't you go and have a look, listen to some mini lectures and stuff to get a feel of it?
My first choice is MQ and I think it's a good uni plus it has the exact course I want to do and just happens that it's the closest uni to my house :)

decoil

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Well, UNSW has an open day this Saturday the 6th and MQ has one next Saturday the 13th why don't you go and have a look, listen to some mini lectures and stuff to get a feel of it?
My first choice is MQ and I think it's a good uni plus it has the exact course I want to do and just happens that it's the closest uni to my house :)
Haha yeah, Iv already organised with friends to go. I think it may just be a matter of asking the school career advisor "is it easy to transfer from an arts course?"

*Baby-K*

HSC
Yah see what the careers advisor says but the 'arts course' lecturer will be able to answer that because I am sure many people transfer :) Good luck

ippie

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Hey,
If you want to go to USYD but apply and get accepted into MQ I think it's generally harder to transfer to a different uni because of the difference in UAIs between MQ and other unis.
...er, wrong.

If you end up going to MQ and you want to transfer after a year, it is certainly possible. When you transfer, they take half your UAI and half your uni results in consideration. So basically you need a Distinction/HD average.

And then you can get credit for previous study from MQ to USYD

decoil

HSC

*Baby-K*

HSC
ippie said:
...er, wrong.

If you end up going to MQ and you want to transfer after a year, it is certainly possible. When you transfer, they take half your UAI and half your uni results in consideration. So basically you need a Distinction/HD average.

And then you can get credit for previous study from MQ to USYD
umm I didn't say it wasn't possible :rolleyes:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
decoil said:
Thanks for the info from last two posts. I think I will just end up going to MQ, as transferring from an arts course looks difficult based purely on supply and demand.
It doesn't matter which degree you transfer from, the problem remains in the difficulty of arts courses vs commerce-related courses.

You don't want to jeopardise your chances by accidently entering a course where you may not like the content or the assignments on offer (don't know you personally so we're not sure if you're a strong essay writer but usually arts degrees rely on them).

Its 'easier' to transfer from a related course, purely because you aren't trying to apply a different set of skills. Having said that, http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2008&code=EBUS03 the Ebusiness course may hold some of the same subjects for first year for the accounting/commerce courses. So you may want to have a look at that (the UAI is 70.20 last year).

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2008&code=ACCG03 For the accounting degree structure

decoil

HSC
AsyLum said:
It doesn't matter which degree you transfer from, the problem remains in the difficulty of arts courses vs commerce-related courses.

You don't want to jeopardise your chances by accidently entering a course where you may not like the content or the assignments on offer (don't know you personally so we're not sure if you're a strong essay writer but usually arts degrees rely on them).

Its 'easier' to transfer from a related course, purely because you aren't trying to apply a different set of skills. Having said that, http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2008&code=EBUS03 the Ebusiness course may hold some of the same subjects for first year for the accounting/commerce courses. So you may want to have a look at that (the UAI is 70.20 last year).

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2008&code=ACCG03 For the accounting degree structure
Thanks alot. Very helpful.
I think I will definetly be aiming for MQ now, my UNSW visit today was semi-dissapointing. And the essay writing part turns me off ;)

ippie

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
umm I didn't say it wasn't possible :rolleyes:

no, I said "wrong" because you gave him the wrong info. You said it may be hard to transfer from MQ to usyd because of differences in course UAIs, which is completely wrong.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Im pretty much in the exact same position as you. I want do USyd economics and Macquarie is my 2nd option.

decoil

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Im pretty much in the exact same position as you. I want do USyd economics and Macquarie is my 2nd option.
Lol. If you don't make it into Sydney, I'll hopefully see you there :) :wave:

*Baby-K*

HSC
ippie said:
no, I said "wrong" because you gave him the wrong info. You said it may be hard to transfer from MQ to usyd because of differences in course UAIs, which is completely wrong.
So it's not harder ??? because the info I gave him is what I was told by my careers advisor and the lecturers at UTS

ippie

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
So it's not harder ??? because the info I gave him is what I was told by my careers advisor and the lecturers at UTS

No it's not harder. That's bullshit. Like I said before, to transfer, unis look at your UAI+uni results. The course you want to transfer out of doesn't affect you at all. There's no "hard" aspect at all. It's simply a matter of your marks. If you have high enough marks, well then congrats, you can transfer. If you want more info on transferring, take a look at the transfers board.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*Baby-K* said:
Usually when people tell you information about how another university works, its either biased or uninformed.

Also transfers are handled by UAC if they are external transfers (usually uni to uni but you can also transfer 'externally' (GPA + UAI) into different courses at the same uni if you believe you have a better chance than with the internal system (which uses GPA only).)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)