• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question regarding choice of related texts. (1 Viewer)

Paulus_999

HSC
Our prescribed text is The Crucible by Arthur Miller, and I was wondering whether the related texts I use must be related to the themes explored in the play?
The related texts that I am currently debating over are:
Dead Poets Society
Shawshank Redemption
The Power of One (novel)

Any advice is appreciated.

HSC
This might interest you: It's my suggestions for another student.

I'm going to have to apologize, but the answer is no, and I get a lot of these questions all the time.

The chief reasons are these:
- Whilst it retains some themes about belonging, a 'pop' text like 'The Incredible Hulk' will not have the higher level themes, or an infinite number of themes that are often found in the Classics i.e, Charles Dickens, William Shakespeare, H.G. Wells, Dante, Sophocles, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle etc. The themes in these kind of blockbuster movies are limited - and as it should be, such films were aimed to 'entertain' and audience, not to instil higher grade level of specific themes. Sure The Hulk is about not belonging, but even a 5 year old child could tell you that, and you want to differentiate yourself form that.

- Teachers/markers will assume you chose this text because it was on T.V last night, or because you saw it in the video store, or an ad - and creates this stigma of laziness, when in actual fact, you might have worked hard to find the text.

- Ask yourself this. Why is it that I barely see films that were made in the 70s, yet books that were written thousands of years ago are still as popular as ever? It's because, if the piece of work has value, it will transcend time. The Incredible Hulk cannot do this I'm afraid.

Having said all that, I'm not saying, don't do the text - I'm just saying, that if you elect to, you will have to do even more work than you think to get a good mark. For example, I did the 2006 'Silent Hill' and talked about the 'anti hero', and 'shadow archetypes,' due to the fact that if you're going to do a modern text as such, even complex techniques such as 'pathetic fallacy' that you find, are just barely enough for a marker to view it as a good choice.

So if you choose the Hulk, and relate it to the Jungian theory for instance, go ahead. If that sounds too complex, and all you can think about is that 'he doesn't belong to society,' it's easier to choose another text.

It seems you have 3 decent texts, but trust me, there are MUCH better ones for The Crucible (in fact I just recommended it to a student a while ago!).

Another reason I say this is because, to be frank, you should be trying much harder in searching for a related text.

'Dead Poet Society' and 'The Crucible' simply do not have good links. If you're going to talk about the obvious 'Carpe Diem' notion in the film, it's not unlike a 10 year old being able to do it also, as the film is often overtly obvious in its themes.

'Shawshank Redemption' and 'Power of One' are both popular in the year 10 and 11 syllabi. Don't risk being looked down upon as being lazy, as I'm sure you are far more intelligent than that! :)

If you still need help finding the text I suggested, I recommend a Classic. If that's still impossible, I can provide the name, but I do prefer students doing work for themselves, you feel more better doing so :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)