Matt200

The syllabus reads something like :

Compare low earth and geostationary orbits

However this years independent exam included a 3 mark question that read:

Compare geostationary and geosynchronous satellite orbits

How can they ask this question?

N

ND

Were geosynchronous orbits even in the syllabus at all? All i know about them is that they have a period of 24 hours, and don't necessarrily have to orbit above the equator.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The trial examinations don't always conform to the syllabus. It's probably worth knowing about them anyway.

Rahul

Dead Member
i would suggest that you stick to the syllabus. that should be the crux of all study.

sidenote, word of the day: crux :p:D

Sammmmmuel

i got asked that question too its easy why are you complaining? i would be over the moon if i got that question. They are precisely the same except geosynch does not stay in the same position and is used for different purposes (purposes which require varying position) :) .... i got full marks when i did it i just did a table to compare the two side by side

Matt200

Im not complaining, i didnt even sit for that question. I was just going over the paper and noticed that i did not have anything about it in my summaries and wondered if i needed to add it.

Rahul

Dead Member
i bet the exam was an old one, before the syllabus got ammended. you will come across a lot of such questions when you do past papers.
best to ask your teacher to confirm that a certain question is out of the syllabus or check for yourself using the syllabus.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes that is correct, the old syllabus had it, but now is removed.

When you compare you have to look at the altitudes for a geostationary/LEO, as well as the orbital period and probably problems associated with that altitude if it requires 3 marks such as the Van allen belts of ionisation (taken out of the syllabus as well) and atmospheric friction.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
i would suggest that you stick to the syllabus. that should be the crux of all study.
Absolutely. Just about all "explain" questions are drawn directly from the syllabus, because the exam committee is no longer allowed to assume the teacher has mentioned something: if it's not written in the syllabus, it's binned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)