• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

question (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i have a question about the requirements for part time compared to casual work. i plan to go to uni nxt year, and i want to work as much as i can over the period between now and then so i can get money to finance it. my question is, is it possible, if you're working say on a permanent part time basis, to be able to change your shifts and hours when your circumstances change? eg say i was working part time, 30 hrs a week somewhere like coles, and when uni started i had to reduce the hours or change the days, would that be possible or would it be better to go for casual positions?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i believe part time has definite number of hours u have to work or the time u have to work

wouldnt work out =@

try casual

BlackDragon

HSC
i have the same plan. believe me, they'll start you out as casual (well they are for me and others) due to the fact that they have to train us. HOPEfully and most likely, they'll bombard us with shifts during mid-later december and from then on.

in answer to your q: yes.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
it depends how flexible your employer likes to be, and how good an employee you turn out to be. if your a good employee, they'll probably want to keep you on at your convenience (to an extent) so that they dont loose you, but some employers wouldnt be so flexible.

Casual is probably better, espescially as your Uni timetable changes twice a year, just make it clear to your employer you have full availibility untill Uni starts

Zozo6969

HSC
If i were you, id go casual as pay is better (who gives about leave n shit) and its heaps flexible. Eg, you give them ur availability, they give u rostered shifts for those times, plus they'll ring u for extra shifts and u can say yes or no, and if there is something on, they have a calendar where u write down when u cant work.

However, part-timers operate on a 4 week timetable rostered thingy, Week a, b, c and d. u can choose ur shifts to suit u exactly, and they wont bother u and ask u for more shifts. u can use the hours uve got up to take time off, and sometimes u must be a part-timer to do certain things, like sell smokes, open and close the store, be a supervisor, etc.

Personally, Casual4TW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)