• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions about a straight law degree (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey there, I've been through previous posts and have found this question touched upon but no real groundbreaking answers.

- I'm looking to do a straight 4 year law degree at UTS next year. Because effectively I'd have to take up more law electives would this make a straight law degree significantly harder then a combined degree in say commerce/arts?
- Are there any other factors I should know?

Also as a by-question: I spoke to a District Judge (I forget the name) at Newcastle Courthouse who mentioned that extra-curriculars such as mooting competitions play a big factor in employment. Having attended an opening day at Newcastle Uni I was suprised to find their law course has only 500 students in total (from 1st to 5th year students). Because of this I'm assuming Uni mooting teams would be easier to join and thus boost credentuals, is this a reasonable assumption to make?

I apologise for these kind of questions. I know questions from year 12 students are tedious (going through constant posts on 'which uni is the best?' makes me want to puke too) but I'd like some solid answers. I'm very appreciative of any responses I recieve.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Hey there, I've been through previous posts and have found this question touched upon but no real groundbreaking answers.

- I'm looking to do a straight 4 year law degree at UTS next year. Because effectively I'd have to take up more law electives would this make a straight law degree significantly harder then a combined degree in say commerce/arts?
- Are there any other factors I should know?

Also as a by-question: I spoke to a District Judge (I forget the name) at Newcastle Courthouse who mentioned that extra-curriculars such as mooting competitions play a big factor in employment. Having attended an opening day at Newcastle Uni I was suprised to find their law course has only 500 students in total (from 1st to 5th year students). Because of this I'm assuming Uni mooting teams would be easier to join and thus boost credentuals, is this a reasonable assumption to make?

I apologise for these kind of questions. I know questions from year 12 students are tedious (going through constant posts on 'which uni is the best?' makes me want to puke too) but I'd like some solid answers. I'm very appreciative of any responses I recieve.
1. It won't make it harder per se, but that depends on the combined degree you choose, your ability and your interests. I find my arts subjects easier and a bit less effort but I know people who do Com/Law who says Com is almost if not equally as challenging as law. In the end do the one that suits you best whether that be comb ined or straight but remeber for the extra year you can get two degrees and have a fall back if you find a career in law is not your thing.

2. Re: Mooting - Mooting and other extra curricular activities are great to boost credentials. I don't know if the number of students make a difference really, it depends on how active the uni law society is. When I was at UWS they only had external mooting which meant it was very competative and only older students got a shot at it, whereas at Macquarie (where I am now) the law society is more active and there are internal comps that anyone can particpate in Junior mooting 1st - 2nd yr, senior mooting 3rd-5th year, witness examination, negotation, paper presentation plus all the external comps.

Good luck

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
If you don't find law subjects hard, then more of them wont make your degree any harder. Certainly longer, and you'll possibly want to kill yourself in your final year, but it really is a subjective judgement. Personally, I haven't minded it at all. It seems to be the general consensus that arts and commerce subjects are easier, though.

My experience with uni mooting is that the event is advertised, and it's up to you to find a partner and put your two names down. After they have a list of people, they randomly assign groups against each other in a preset scenario, and everyone moots their little hearts out. So yes, it's easy to join up and do, so long as you know people who aren't scared of it.

Special moots, such as the Shine and Jessup competitions, are harder to get into. Teams are usually picked by the Faculty/the law student society, and people are selected based on academic record and prior mooting experience.

Re: boosting credentials, yes, it helps. And no, I doubt that a law firm will phone the university to check to see if you actually participated in a moot. Use this information wisely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)