• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions About Courses (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
Posted this in another forum, but after discovering this one it looks more appropriate here.

For most of this year i felt i had a faint idea about the "year 12 to uni" process, but after browsing through the UNSW site i feel totally lost. ive tried to find some answers with a bit of googling but to no avail.

im sure i want to do a course specifically involving 3d animation + modelling. ive been into it since around year 8 till now and i cant think of too many other things which i would be interested in studying in. and it would be cool to have a bit of an advantage over everyone.

ive come across these courses of interest:
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2006/SOMA2609.html
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2006/SOMA3609.html
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2006/SOMA4609.html

ok the first requires that im enrolled in a program in the college of fine arts. digital media appears to fit under this category.

first question:
How does the Faculty (COFA), Program (Digital Media) and Courses (3d animation) all relate? do i simply do the courses of my choosing and the faculty and program are just a category they all come under?

second question:
UAI requirements. is it the course or the program that has the UAI requirements place on them? and would anyone have a rough idea of the UAI i would need to enroll?

third question:
lets say i dont make it into the courses. would anyone have any idea how i could get into this industry. uni would be the first choice, mainly because of the "family honour" that seems to come with it...and i think my parents are trying to bribe me with a new computer if i make it in (im talking FX-62, quad SLI 7950gtx, 4GB RAM, high speed super fast ultra...*continues rambling on about dream system)

TAFE is always an option, but i think my parents may possibly disown me if i end up there.

fourth question:
Can i do all three of the above courses at once? the prerequisite for the second course is just that ive done/(am doing?) the first course.

ive come across this in the unsw digital media page:
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2006/4810.html

"General Education Requirements Students are required as part of their studies, to complete 12 units of credit in General Education courses or their equivalent. No more than 3UOC may be taken from COFA General Education courses."

ok what would a "general education course" be? and the "no more than 3UOC"....all the courses under digital media are 6UOC...

6UOC > 3UOC???
therefore they cannot be taken?
*confused

and i might need a few more things to be cleared up.
bachelors, honours, majors, undergraduate, credits...
i think i have a vague idea about what they each mean but a proper explanation would help greatly.

argh my head just feels blank after about 6 hours of doing maths, im sure a few more questions will come to me once my mind is clear. sorry if these questions are answered somewhere around here, but im dead tired atm.

thanks for any help, really appreciate it. *pre emptive hugs to anyone may possibly help

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well you made one very very very long post and its best you save those questions for unsw open day in september some time.

as for the gen eds, all courses except some double degree courses and the new liberal studies ones require you do compete them. what they mean is that the digital media courses are all 6 cp themselves, but you do four gen eds (which are just electives that you can take which are offered by every faculty).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)