Questions about English Extension 2? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Are those ideas from EX1 hard to include in your major work or easy? What are other ideas are there?

So should I pick up Adv and Ext 1? I really want to drop Society and Culture. I was thinking of dropping it for Modern but then I figured I didn't want that either, so should I drop that for those extra 2 units of English? EX2 sounds really fun, but before I make any drastic decisions I really need to be sure of what I'm doing. The issues are that I will be have to be doing 12 units in Year 12, instead of 10, and since EX2 is only 1 unit, I'll be risking damage to my ATAR, because I'm not particularly good at English.

So you are 100% sure that you don't need anything of EX1 to do a good major work?
1. Come on... say you see a nice plot line on TV and you go "Wow, that's nice - I'll adapt it for my next creative writing task". It's the same thing. I saw a nice technique in one EX1 book - which was having multiple endings - so I used a multiple ending for my story.

It's not difficult at all, so stop implying it's difficult somehow. Besides, it is YOUR OWN English Extension 1 and Advanced modules which have to inspire your work so you have to do the research yourself - but I advise you NOT to do that because it has to flow naturally from what you learn in Advanced or Extension 1 - which is something you don't pick.

2. Should you pick it up is the wrong question. "Do I want to pick it up?" is the correct question.

3. Yes. Your EX2 work has to come from ideas YOU LEARN in Advanced OR Extension 1 OR both.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, strawberries chill out.

Your EX2 does not HAVE to come from ideas your learn from adv/ext, you can just bs it to make it suit the ideas... do whatever you want, then just link it back. Oh this person has an identity crisis = BELONGING! Oh look lots of nature = ROMANTICISM! Oh these people have different views because of their religious backgrounds = CONFLICTING PERSPECTIVES!

I wrote a poem focusing on the colour blue (it was symbolic in my story) = INSPIRED FROM HUGHES' POEM RED. I actually read the poem after I wrote mine, but whatever. It's more important that you enjoy the course c: Relating it back to the adv/ext course is the easiest part, there are so many modules...

Inevitably, you'll probably admire at least one concept in your eng adv/ext course and use it (if not purposefully, then subconsciously ~). For instance, I really loved Blake's poetry (his concept of childhood innocence/naivety -> adulthood 'maturity'), and started using that concept for a while before realising that I probably got it from reading so much Blake :p

If you suck at English though... not sure why you'd be wanting to take this course... it's a lot of effort if you're taking it seriously/wanting to do it really well. A lot of research required ~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)