Questions on Religion post -1945 (1 Viewer)

v.ray

HSC
Can anyone help me with these two questions, examples would be helpful as well.

1) Describe the impact of Christian ecumenical movements in Australia

and

2) Explain how the rise of secularism has impacted on the religious profile in Australia.

julia09

HSC
hahahahahahaha.
i was looking at this and i was like ... "they sound a lot like the questions i have to answer" then i was like "wait.. they are the questions i have to answer"
then i realised you go to my school. lol.

bored of sc

HSC
I will post up some stuff when I get the time. Stay tuned.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
IMPACT/IMPORTANCE OF ECUMENISM IN AUSTRALIA (focuses mainly on the NCCA as an ecumenical movement)

The Christian ecumenical movements are of strong importance in relation to Australia’s religious past.

As Christian unity began to approach (initially with the Anglican and Protestant denominations), a sign of strength in Christianity began to be seen. It was during the 1960’s and 1970’s which saw the beginning of the ecumenical movement (may be referred to as ‘movement’ here on) in Australia, which after beginning with the Protestant and Anglican denominations, had now Orthodox and Catholic integration. It was in 1994 when the NCCA, or National Council of Churches in Australia, was formed that the Catholic Church and denominations were truly seen to be a part of this national religious movement. NCCA involves the coming together of 15 member churches in ‘there commitment to others and all to the world which Christ died’ [Reference: www.answers.com/topic/national-council-of-churches-in-australia]

The bringing together of numerous churches saw too, the essential views of different cultures, expressions of faith (note: expressions of faith refers to the different expressions of the same faith and not inter-religious expressions) and views as a society coming together. The unity provided a stronger and ‘more religious’ guide in search for spiritual life, in the work towards social justice nationally and internationally and a increase in identity as a religion.

Equality in the ecumenical movement was vitally important in allowing unity of different denominations, and hence beliefs of certain groups activities such as the Uniting Church in Australia, were attributed from a collection of fundamental writings such as the Bible and the Nicene Creed. Hence the ecumenical movement is also important as it brings together important and equally accepted aspects from different writings and traditions, forming the ‘Churches’ way of living as a whole, rather than the ‘denominations’ was of living as a grouping.

The ecumenical movement played and continues to play an important role in Australian society with relation to targeting issues such as political actions, the encouragement of sociality, morality and integrity among Christians and being prominently active on issues such as rights of minority groups, especially that of Aboriginal people. We can therefore see that the economical movements’ importance has been greatly raised but its active input on promoting social justice and so forth, within Australia.

Organisations such as WSCF (World Students Christian Federation), was established in the time of the first Christian Ecumenical movements, as an organsation which welcomed youth and students from different Christian traditions. Its importance is seen through the federation’s encouragement of the exchange of dialogue between students from different denominational background
The push for the Australian ecumenical movement was also promoted and worked through the establishment of the New South Wales Ecumenical Council, which as a unity, sought to respond to the national ecumenical movement and pledge.

Ecumenical actions are vitally important in both the church, community and society. Some local initiatives undertaken by the NSW EC include

- ‘…providing and promoting occasions for people to reflect and worship together
e.g. the Taize Pilgrimage of Trust… ‘
[Reference: www.nswec.org.au/local_ecunimism.htm]

The council also:

- ‘… provides appropriate opportunities for churches to explore theological and ecclesiological issues to come to a deeper understanding of each other and grow towards a richer convergence with each other…’
[Reference: www.nswec.org.au/reflection.htm]

The ecumenical movement in Australia played an important role in Australian history, with the same actions leading to an equally promising future, for not only Christians but society as a whole. Ecumenism was able to break down barriers that were held by the division in a faith, such as interdenominational marriages, strengthen faiths by promoting unity, played a large role in the fight for social justice and also strengthen the trust and unity of Christians. Through all this we are able to value the ecumenical movement in Australia as extremely important, asses its outcomes as being positive and conclude that its results were imperative in shaping Christianity in Australia.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Also secularism on Religious Profile.. you need to look at census data (don't have any copies on the computer, only hard copies, but there's all this info about religious adherence. There was no category for 'non religion' until the 70s, and this shows a changing profile of religious adherence in Australia. So, the rise of of secularism HAS efefctively impacted the religious profile, due to decreases in the religious traditions, and increase in non-religion since the introduction of the category in census figures. You also should look at the National Church Life Council website, where they have more info about patterns of religious adherence.

bored of sc

HSC
I guess I don't need to post up anything (which I promised). To wixxy2348, that's very detailed knowledge. So great work.

Ecumenism strives for equality, unity (NOT uniformity) and appreciation of the differences between various Christian denominations. So you could call these 'impacts'. Also, increased support on social justice issues (strength of many denominations) such as poverty, relief/aid to other countries etc.

Secularism is the belief that religion should be separated from mainstream public affairs. So appropriately, the impacts are opposite in nature to ecumenism; almost the equivalent of blasphemy (maybe), discrimination and [insert textbook impacts here]. Religion losing popularity and becoming less relevant are some more impacts.

EDIT: as Wixxy said, to address the religious profile component --> provide statistics and facts about the religious landscape of Australia during the time(s) secularism was/were prominent.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)