Quick multiple choice question (2 Viewers)

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Please explain why answer is D, thanks =).

Does this come under the topic motors and generators?

why d.png

omgiloverice

HSC
Yes it does since no other topic features coils and wires. (to my limited knowledge)
The answer is definitely not 'a' since a stronger magnet would dramatically increase the acceleration as the coil comes closer to the magnet, but I can see why you would pick it.

The answer 'd' due to the copper being a diamagentic (aka not magnetic in simple terms) will the strength of the magnetic field

I think

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Yes it does since no other topic features coils and wires. (to my limited knowledge)
The answer is definitely not 'a' since a stronger magnet would dramatically increase the acceleration as the coil comes closer to the magnet, but I can see why you would pick it.

The answer 'd' due to the copper being a diamagentic (aka not magnetic in simple terms) will the strength of the magnetic field

I think
Not sure what you mean =S

Would it be because the circuit of the coil is not complete thus eddy currents cannot be formed (or minuscule amounts) to oppose the force of the magnetic field?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
This is the second part of M&G -- looking at electromagnetic induction.

When the copper coil swings past the pendulum, it experiencesachanging magnetic field, which induces an EMF into the coil, but as the electrons have no where to flow (it is not a closed circuit) there is no current.

By applying a copper rod between the ends of the coil, a current will flow around in a loop. When induced current can flow, it provides a resistive force, opposing the motion of the coil relative to the magnetic field.

So, by putting the rod between the ends of the coil, this allows current to flow, which produces a resistive force which will slow the pendulum more quickly.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
You should remember that in terms of HSC, things like slits and cuts in a wire (like this one - a spring) is seen as one that does not produce any electromagnetic braking effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)