• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quick Question on Pompeii homes: (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
I've been going over my notes and I have written down that most homes in Pompeii had a shop in the front of them.

Is this right? Most of them? How could every home have a shop in the front of it?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Yes, to an extent. There was a large proportion of houses which are 'believed' to contain shop fronts. This is evident as most houses opened directly on to the street. However, Andrew Wallace-Hadrill conducted a study of Pompeian houses and concluded that there is no such thing as a standard house in Pompeii or Herculaneum. Hadrill identified four different groups of houses, combining various degrees of residential and commercial function.

The Four Different Groups of Houses:
1) Shops & workshops with 1 or 2 roomed residences behind or above. (This group is to which most houses belonged, hence why there were so many shops.)
2) Larger workshop residences of 2-7 rooms, some with an atrium & even richly decorated.
3) Average house: 8 -13 rooms, most with an integrated workshop or shop, symmetrical plan & common architectural features eg atrium & gardens.
4) Largest houses ( villa urbana) designed for hospitality & large-scale admission of visitors, separate space for slaves; 2 atria; ornamental gardens, peristyles; decorated.

If you're looking for a great source on Pompeian houses my Ancient teacher is obsessed with Andrew Wallace Hadrill and always recommends "Houses and society in Pompeii and Herculaneum". It was a great source and helped greatly with the core topic. It is very detailed, and certainly far more than what we need for the HSC, but it's useful nonetheless.

Pompeii was a highly commercial town, due to its geographical location. Therefore there was a high emphasis on economy and shops within the town. Hence, why there is the conclusion that many dwellings contained rooms designed as shops.

The general evolution of the Domus Romana due to society itself is also a factor. There is evidence that further division of larger houses into apartments due to population pressure and some grand renovations occurred. And then again population growth and economic growth saw the incorporation of shop fronts and workshops as part of residences, particularly along main thoroughfares, hence the reason for the quantity of shops.

Hopefully this helped you out. :) If not Good luck with your inquiry, if you need anything else just ask. :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^ yes, 'Houses and society in Pompeii and Herculaneum' is a really excellent treatment of the topic, far more interesting than what you would think

Fake-Name

HSC
Thanks I'll give that source a look. It still seems pretty illogical that 3 out of the 4 types of houses had shops incorporated in them. I'll have to read up on it as housing is one of the only aspects of Pompeii I cannot understand.

Thanks.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Well it's very similar to Modern society really. Think about all the shopping complexes, centres, etc., and then all the 'portable' markets and such that we have today. In Pompeii their only 'real shopping complex' would have been the Forum, and that was the central hub for economy, politics, and religion! So instead of having all their shops in one place (like we do), they have to have individual shops in several locations. It's basically due to the geography and insulae in regards to town planning. The houses were constructed so that sections could easily be partitioned off or added on later.

Remember both Pompeii and Herculaneum are highly commercial towns in Campania. Their central focus was commerce and the economy, similar to that of a business industry, so it's understandable why there was the requirement of the quantity of shops.

I’m not too sure if this helps you understand housing any better, thought I’d give it a shot. But when you think about the plethora of shops we have today in our cities, it’s evident that Pompeii may have had a similar emphasis on economy as we do.
Good luck on your research however!

Fake-Name

HSC
'Remember both Pompeii and Herculaneum are highly commercial towns in Campania. Their central focus was commerce and the economy, similar to that of a business industry'
That line adds some sense to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)