Quick Question... (1 Viewer)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I just did the trial for IPT today, and..

If someone (me) were to misread a 3 mark question that asked him to draw a data flow diagram, and that someone (me) drew a system flowchart instead.. how many marks do you think that person (me) would lose? :(

Huy

HSC
N/A
All 3?

I was asked to draw a DFD, instead of drawing a Dataflow Diagram, I started drawing a Context Diagram. It started to become complicated so I knew I was on the wrong track (imagine having a context diagram that is so complicated it looked like a System Flowchart + Dataflow Diagram + Context Diagram all in 1 LOL!).

So I didn't answer that question and moved onto the theory.

Dataflow diagrams are meant to represent the system with all inputs, outputs and storage requirements. System flowcharts on the other hand, will only show the flow of data and the logic of the system. Now, you've got 1 out of the 2 (SFC and DFD's both represent the system and the flow of data, so that's 50% covered), but on the other hand, the System flowchart shows the logic of the system, which wasn't asked.

If I was generous, I'd give you 1 out of the 3.
If I was sticking to the marking guideline (for example one of the criteria that examiners might use would be "uses correct symbols"). So they'll be expecting to see the external entities, the processes and the data stores, which aren't in the System Flowchart at all.

So re-evaluating my stance, I'd say 0/3 :(
While it is true that SFC's demonstrate the flow of data in a system, the symbols that are used are not required (or necessary) in DFD's, which is primarily what the examiners want to see, the proper data flows, external entities, data stores, labelling, etc.

1 mark correct labelling
2 marks use of correct symbols e.g. external entities and datastores, as well as processes and data flows (arrows).

Look on the bright side,
I missed the question completely, so you're better off than I am :)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
My god, you're just a barrel full of information, aren't you? :D

Thanks for all that, I was afraid I would lose all 3 marks, but at least it will teach me a valuable lesson.

Doing Software Design and IPT gets so confusing with the differences in feasibility and design tools.. I just had a complete mind blank in the exam. Here's hoping I don't blank out in the HSC. :(

Huy

HSC
N/A
You're going to get a kick up the ass on Monday, Peter.
That is, if I'm still alive after my Major Work is completed. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)