• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quick Questions On Uni Fees (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
1) In the UAC 2007 Guide it lists most DFEE courses as costing around $20,000.
Is that per year ($60,000 for a 3 year course) or a single payment (a total of $20,000 after 3 years) ?

2) Could anyone give a guess on how much money i would save if i get into a CSP course compared to a DFEE course, i know theyre all different but i just need a rough idea.

3) Is it possible to transfer from a DFEE first year to a CSP of the exact same course the next year?

4) If i put a CSP as my first preference and a DFEE as my second preference, lets say i dont make the UAI for the CSP but i do for the DFEE, is it possible that accepting the offer too soon could end up leaving me with a higher fee? lets say a few people end up declining their CSP offer, would the offer then be given over to people doing DFEE even if theyve already accepted it?
If the CSP UAI cutoff lowers could i still end up doing that course and "unaccept" the DFEE?

Thanks, money is a big issue for me and i dont want to end up wasting a few thousand dollars that could have been put to better use.

karoooh

HSC
I know this kind of doesn't answer any of your questions (sorry), but I thought that whoever accepted the DFEE, could get loans to pay for it, and they could pay back the amount borrowed, only when they've reached a certain income. Otherwise, they're exempt from paying it.

So says my Year Advisor and Careers Advisor, who say it's in the book or something, but I can't find it and can't be bothered flicking through it atm.

biggie walls

HSC
That's HECS ^ which relates to CSP's

1) Yes, it is per year
2) It varies but, you can save anywhere between 5 - 10 grand per year in a CSP
3) Not sure, ring the Uni's and ask.. you would have to get good marks I'd say
4) The places that were declined would be handed to the ppl that applied for the CSP with the next highest UAIs

If money is an issue, DFEE's are not a good idea.. the whole difference between DFEE and CSP's are that on a CSP you pay by HECS which is a gov't loan, which is paid for AFTER you finish Uni and get a fulltime job.. for DFEE's you have to have the money NOW..

A good option is to apply for another CSP degree at the Uni, which has a lower UAI, get into that degree and get good marks in your first semester (or year) and apply to transfer to the course you wanted to in the first place, HOWEVER you must make sure with the Uni that you can do this before hand, cause it is not allowed for some degrees...

What degree and uni are you trying to get into? this will help people solve a lot of your problems...

phrred

HSC
biggie walls said:
That's HECS ^ which relates to CSP's

1) Yes, it is per year
2) It varies but, you can save anywhere between 5 - 10 grand per year in a CSP
3) Not sure, ring the Uni's and ask.. you would have to get good marks I'd say
4) The places that were declined would be handed to the ppl that applied for the CSP with the next highest UAIs

If money is an issue, DFEE's are not a good idea.. the whole difference between DFEE and CSP's are that on a CSP you pay by HECS which is a gov't loan, which is paid for AFTER you finish Uni and get a fulltime job.. for DFEE's you have to have the money NOW..

A good option is to apply for another CSP degree at the Uni, which has a lower UAI, get into that degree and get good marks in your first semester (or year) and apply to transfer to the course you wanted to in the first place, HOWEVER you must make sure with the Uni that you can do this before hand, cause it is not allowed for some degrees...

What degree and uni are you trying to get into? this will help people solve a lot of your problems...
Thats not all correct. U dont have to pay DFEEs during uni. You could get a loan from the govt up to a certain amount, i think its 100k.
With CSP you can pay upfront where you get 20% discount so its about 6k a yr depending on your degree. Other option is to defer payment and owe the govt the amount you borrowed, this is obviously lower than the DFEE amount

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
biggie walls said:
No, no, no, no, no.

CSP means that the Government actually PAYS a lot of your uni fees. You pay only a Student Contribution, the amount of which is capped according to your course (and I think is never over about $7,000 p.a) and you are allowed to defer payment of this via a HECS loan, which is only payable once you hit a certain income. However, you can pay some or all of it immediately and receive a discount.

DFEE means that you have to pay ALL of your uni fees. However, there is also a student loan program for this, similar to HECS, called FEE-HELP. I think there may be a discount thing for upfront payment here as well, but I'm not sure.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you pay any university course fees upfront, when do you usually make the payment?

Raginsheep

HSC
If you have the grades, then you can transfer from DFEE (ie a full fee paying) to CSP providing there are vacancies.

A CSP place is where the government pays your tuition fees but expects you to make a contribution yourself roughly around $7000 for commerce, $9000 for medicine. If you are a citizen of Australia, then you may choose to defer your student contribution, ie borrow the money from the government and pay them back later. Permanent citizens must pay contributions upfront.

If I remember correctly, if you put down both CSP and DFEE preferences, then provided you meet the entry requirements, you will get both your highest CSP and DFEE courses and you can choose between the two.

The uni's will contact you regarding when you need to pay any fees by.

karoooh

HSC
Isn't 100k just for Medicine, Dentistry and Vet. Science?

So if I applied for DFEE, the govt. would lend me 80k+ (Commerce/Arts, Eco/Arts etc.) to pay for the $19 680 p.a. for 5 years? And what do they mean by the 20% loan fee?

i.e. Do we have to pay:

- the 20% of 80k+
- the 20% of $19 680
- the 20% of $19 680 x 5 years?

Raginsheep

HSC
Well, say Commerce is $20000 a year and it takes 3 years for you to do your degree. Then, its $20000 * 3 years * 20%.

karoooh

HSC
Thanks!

Would I be allowed to change my preferences, say, a week after today without a fee? Through the web or am I only able to do it through the infoline?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
Would I be allowed to change my preferences, say, a week after today without a fee? Through the web or am I only able to do it through the infoline?
It'll only be the phone bill for that call that you make after you first apply, online changes are free other than the internet costs associated with your internet provider.

P.S Hi Carol! :)

Last edited:

karoooh

HSC
Hellllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooo Brian!

Thanks everyone! :p

biggie walls

HSC
SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION...

hmm this DFEE business now interests me,
I particularly like the idea of doing first year under DFEE and then transferring to a CSP for the rest of my degree, however this seems too good to be true? Would it be extremely competitive to transfer to a CSP place - there is no assurance there would even be a place, right? although there would be alot of first year drop outs wouldn't there? The worst thing would be getting stuck in a DFEE place for an entire degree and having a huge loan to pay off after uni...

Raginsheep

HSC
The advantage of a DFEE place is that in some cases, your UAI can be up to 5pts lower than an equviliant CSP place. (example: law at USYD is 99.6. That means that in theory, a student with a UAI of 94.6 can get in)

To transfer from a DFEE place to a CSP place, you're competing with other transfer students for the same place provided vacancies exist. For highly competitive courses like law, you'll need very good marks to have any chance.

Personally, I don't think DFEE places are that great. Its like $100000 in total for a degree like law and then you gotta add an additional 20% which is another $20000. Compared with an equviliant CSP cost of $50000 with no effective interest rate and the DFEE place clearly sucks.

Of course, if its your only method of getting into a course you really want to do; then what I just wrote will mean nothing to you.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
So, if you apply for a DFEE position, then you can get a loan from the government up to a certain limit to help support you and consequently you then pay for your fees/the loan, once you start working?

karoooh

HSC
Yea, but there's a fee you have to pay to borrow the loan. You want to do Commerce, so you'd have to pay 20 grand first to get the loan.
I still haven't figured out where or how I'm gonna get the 20 grand first... If I don't get CSP. :(

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
karoooh said:
Yea, but there's a fee you have to pay to borrow the loan. You want to do Commerce, so you'd have to pay 20 grand first to get the loan.
I still haven't figured out where or how I'm gonna get the 20 grand first... If I don't get CSP. :(
wah, that's a lot. But i think ill put it down as a backup anyways, and then 'ill worry about it later on, if i don't get into the CSP courses i want.
thanks carolyn!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)