Quitting (1 Viewer)

persephone

HSC
I got a job with a perfume promotions company. And they made me sign a contract. And they made us go to unpaid training. And I don't want to do it anymore. I have to given written notice if I want to leave.... The letter I wrote is very short and I just said that there are 'events beyond my control and therefore I cannot fulfil the terms of the contract.' I'm going to fax it to them... And I really don't want to have them call me and berate me.

Here's the thing: what are the chances that they'll call me to have me explain myself?? I hate confrontation and really just want to quit.

(although they have given me no paid employment and I've only been to 2 training sessions and I'm too shy to even sell perfume, why I thought I could do it is beyond me).

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I doubt they'll ask you to "explain yourself" in that many words, but I doubt you'll be able to send the letter and never hear from them ever again. I'm sure they'll want to talk to you, even if it's just to confirm that it's what you want to do. If I was a boss, I'd make sure before I processed any paperwork... and the easiest way to do that is to phone you and ask you about it... so in the course of that, you might be asked to explain why.

If I were you, I'd not use the "events beyond my control": it always seems to shout "I'm not interested, but won't tell it to you straight, so there's reason for you to be suspicious and feel a little odd about what I'm doing"... and in my opinion will generate more questions than it will answer.

Better line will be to say that it's just really not your cup of tea. I don't know what the contract says as to how you quit, but you might even find you're a little more roped into things than you're thinking (but you'd know, not me). I'd tell them that while you think you could do it, you've realised that you don't think it's for you. Just tell them straight up. It's nothing wrong with you, there's nothing wrong with quitting, just be honest, I'd say -- look at it this way: they don't want someone working for htem who really doesn't want to be working for them either.

...that said... if you feel you're too shy to sell (I'm assuming this is a retail, or a stand-in-myer-handing-out-smelly-cardboard type of job), maybe throwing yourself in the deep end (even if only for a week) will be a good, character building thing. Personally, I think you should rip your letter up and try it... but that's just my take.

Good luck, either way! :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Basically, just tell them you aren't interested anymore. Give them a crap excuse if you want to.

If they give you shit cos you signed a contract, just don't show up or take any of their calls. Simple. You don't wanna work for them so you don't have to kiss their ass. They haven't paid you for your training so they owe you more than you owe them.

I doubt they will call you and ask for reasons. But if they do, just tell them it isn't your thing, sorry but no thanks.

Ultimately they have ripped you off, and you haven't taken anything (like money) from them. So yeah you don't owe them anything don't feel like you do.

ism

HSC
N/A
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't unpaid training illegal?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think it may not be illegal if you sign to do it in your contract of employment. But it is certainly is unethical and unfair.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
if you're really hating it that much, then quit. but like skittled said, you're better off just being honest with them...i agree that the "beyond my control" line doesnt fool many people. are you shy because its a different job to what you're used to, or are you just generally timid overall and dont want to have to talk to strangers? if its the former i would say give it a go coz u might end up liking it. if you're just generally shy then maybe retail isnt for you, though most jobs out there for young people are involved with it somehow.

Haku

its actually seriously hard to quit a job if u being doing it for long.

like last year i was working at KFC $6.54 and hour. lol from when i was in year 11-12...how sad was that. but anywayz the boss was heaps nice and the workers were cool, eating food when there is no customers is the best, its not a busy store so its quite relaxed job.

but since year 12 i have to work and stuff, i just didn;t go anymore, can't think of a way to actually quit, i think i am still on the role for workers, but just not rostered on anymore, maybe after hsc i can go back!!!

kow_dude

HSC
persephone said:
I got a job with a perfume promotions company. ... I'm too shy to even sell perfume, why I thought I could do it is beyond me).
OMG.... i would love to work in a perfume store !!!

persephone

HSC
I still haven't faxed off my 'quitting letter.' I don't have a fax machine...but am planning to send it off tomorrow morning. I have my mobile turned off and am so paranoid that they'll call me. I'm not one for confrontation. So, perhaps I won't use that "events beyond my control" line. I will do that I'm not interested thing....

And the terms of the contract....I'll have to find it and post it later....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Most employment contracts will have provisions that allow either party to terminate the contract immediately for a certain probationary period. Hopefully that was in your contract too

persephone

HSC
Murf said:
if its included in an original contract you signed then no its not illegal if provisions have been made for it, if your under no contract then they cant force you to go to unpaid training.

persephone - can you tell us more about the contract? did it have points in there in relation to how long you can spend in the job or if you want to leave? do u still have a copy?

murf
the contract...slightly abridged...

Independent Consultant AGreement

This Agreement is entered into between .... and ....

1. Your Responsibilities: You Will:
Use your best efforts to promote/sell the agreed products, with ethics, professionalism and to the standards provided by ..... etc
2. ..... will:
a) Pay you an agreed hourly rate as an Independent Consultant (including tax). You are therefore required to pay the required income tax directly to the Department of Taxation personally.
b) Provide the rquired training to enable you to carry on your work
c) Pay you aounts owing on a monthly basis
3. Term and Termination: The term of this Agreement will (a) commence upon signature by you and acceptance by ... and (b) continue until th efirst of the following occurs:
a) You will give .... 30 days advance written notice of Termination
b) .... gives you 30 day snotic eof Termination
c) ... gives you written notice of termination for cause (including, without limitation, any breach of this Agreement, crime, fraud, misrepresentation, dishonesty, abuse or misuse or other cause). Termination Immediate.

and then it goes on a bit....relationship of the parties, miscellaneous provisions ....

They made everyone they hired get their own ABN number. So, we're our own little business as they said....I found it all rather dodgy....

And this is my letter so far....will fax it tomorrow....

"This letter is in regards to the termination of my contract with .... promotions and in compliance with the contract signed I am giving 30 days notice. My interest in such employment with you has declined and I feel that I am not the best person to represent your company at present. As such, I do not feel that I will be able to fulfil the terms of the contract.

Thank you for the opportunity and training given thus far. I apologise for any inconvenience."

There would be the date and to whoever and yours sincerely somewhere too. So tempted to put 'do not call me again.' ;)

P

pLuvia

20/8/05

Dear

I, [name], am giving two weeks notice of my resignation. I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work at McDonalds; the experience has been wonderful, and constructive. Unfortunately I have to focus my time to my studies, and thus the time at McDonalds has to come to a halt. Thank you again for this well spent experience.

Yours sincerely

good qutting letter?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
kadlil said:
20/8/05

Dear

I, [name], am giving two weeks notice of my resignation. I would like to thank you for giving me the opportunity to work at McDonalds; the experience has been wonderful, and constructive. Unfortunately I have to focus my time to my studies, and thus my time at McDonalds must come to an end . Thank you again for this deleted experience.

Yours sincerely
Yes but maybe get some people to read it for formalness. I have made some changes but I am not good at these things to wait for someone who is.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
persephone said:
I got a job with a perfume promotions company. And they made me sign a contract. And they made us go to unpaid training. And I don't want to do it anymore. I have to given written notice if I want to leave.... The letter I wrote is very short and I just said that there are 'events beyond my control and therefore I cannot fulfil the terms of the contract.' I'm going to fax it to them... And I really don't want to have them call me and berate me.

Here's the thing: what are the chances that they'll call me to have me explain myself?? I hate confrontation and really just want to quit.

(although they have given me no paid employment and I've only been to 2 training sessions and I'm too shy to even sell perfume, why I thought I could do it is beyond me).
You don't have to explain yourself. You just have to give them notice.

Don't worry!

P

pLuvia

Murf said:
yep thats good :)

do u want to ask the managers for a reference? if so possibly do so in the letter:)
murf
reference... can't i just put the manager's name, then the McDonalds phone number?, or should i actually ask for mobile number etc..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)