• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quotes and techniques method? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
Hey,

So pretty much I aced my half yearlies with seen questions, but my downfall so far has been with unseen essays. I've been doing a lot of thinking and am going to do the quotes and techniques method (don't want to argue about it on this thread haha) but I was wondering if anyone who used this method successfully could offer some advice? Or link me to another thread (couldn't find anything other than a few sentences).

HSC
Hey,

So pretty much I aced my half yearlies with seen questions, but my downfall so far has been with unseen essays. I've been doing a lot of thinking and am going to do the quotes and techniques method (don't want to argue about it on this thread haha) but I was wondering if anyone who used this method successfully could offer some advice? Or link me to another thread (couldn't find anything other than a few sentences).
unseen texts really frustrate me
I'm not sure about that specific method but I find a quote with multiple techniques and then link discovery in

swagmeister

HSC
I was meaning unseen essay question's (e.g. all of Paper 2). Bump, anyone that used this method instead of generic essays plz can you offer so more detail into how you did it.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I was meaning unseen essay question's (e.g. all of Paper 2). Bump, anyone that used this method instead of generic essays plz can you offer so more detail into how you did it.
I do use the quotes and techniques method and it has worked for me so far (always got in the 13/15, 18/20 range for my essays). There's no other way to doing this than writing practice essays under timed conditions (unfortunately). As such, send your practice essays to your teacher/tutor. But usually create word documents for each module with a table listing quotes, techniques, effort and link to rubric. That keeps my analysis in an organised place.

Specifically for Paper 2, there's a plethora of past paper essay questions that you can pick out for practice. Keep in mind that the core ideas are context for Mod A, textual integrity for Mod B, and representation for Mod C. There is a BoS'er named loversinjapan who SR'ed English (got 97) and did not memorise essays at all; only memorised her creative though. I guess you could ask her, but she hasn't been on BoS for a while so I don't know if you'll get a swift response.

And how come you're not inclined towards generic essays?

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly you split it up into themes/topic areas that the question can ask.

With module A, you group similar or contrasting examples in order to allow easy comparison/contrast
With module B, for each reading/theme, including comments from other source

http://tinyurl.com/dp4samples/sf/english/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)